Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Get Good Photos From the Panasonic TZ-5

Max-

I could not post in your thread, nor could I download your images, so I decided to start a new thread to offer some help. The TZ-5 is capable of very good photos right out of the box. The TZ-5 is basically an automatic camera, but it works best in the iA Mode which is new to the TZ-5 model this year.

Here is a perfect example: Turned on my TZ-5 made sure that the Mode Selector was in the iA mode and I stepped out on the back deck, framed the photo and took the attached photo #1. It was very simple. The camera selected the ISO to 160 automatically and we got a very decent photo.

Attached photo#1:

I came back inside the great room with the TZ-5 camera and focused on my husband, who was sitting in his recliner. Once again, with the TZ-5 in the iA Mode I framed the photo, and took the photo. The TZ-5 used ISO 320 F 4.7 and 1/40 on the shutter speed. It also automatically fired the flash. You see all I had to do was to frame the photo and take the photo. The TZ-5 when used in the new iA mode does everything for you. and BOTH photos were good right out of the camera. No post processing was required.

Attached photo #2:

I hope these two photo examples help.

Sarah Joyce

What a view from the deck!
    Minolta X370, 35mm, 50mm; Vivitar 28-80 zoom; Auto Spira-Tel 200mm, 300mm; JC Penney 80-200 zoom;12mm, 20mm, 36mm extension tubes, 2X & 3X teleconverters
    Sony Mavica FD-83
    FZ-20; 62mm Pemaraal Adapter; TCON-17; Hoya SHMC UV; Kenko Circular Polarizar; Tiffen ND 6, Sky 1-A
    Vivitar 2800-D flash; Spiratone Tripod

Thanks, Mike-

Yes, we have 327 feet of ocean front property directly on the Pacific Ocean.

Sarah Joyce

More great TZ5 pics, Sarah. Thanks for sharing your experience! Tomorrow can't come fast enough for me.

Paula

Sarah yes wow that is some view - do you take in stray photographers As for the TZ5 it does look good but I don't think it's worth me trading up from my TZ1 though as I'm still happy with it as my take anywhere PnS. I've a a question for you though about the two coast shots you posted. The one in this thread looks a bit more washed out & less sharp than the one you posted in Dev's thread. Ok I know they are on different days & probably different times but why would the camera choose settings with such a high shutter speed as 1/1300s & higher iso of 160 at f4.3, when there is obviously loads of light, and a much lower shutter speed of 1/250s at iso100 and f8 in the other one when there is also a lot of light. It seems strange to me that it didn't choose the smaller aperture & lowest iso in both cases. The iso 100 f8 shot is definately a better sharper image imho & really shows of the camera the other one is OK in comparison. I know that one of them is zoomed in slightly more than the other but I'm suprised if that has made the camera boost the iso & speeds & open the aperture. I can understand having a faster speed to account for the light differences but why not leave the rest the same & keep the sharper image. It is early morning here so I suspect I've missed something obvious but?
    Last edited by Phill D; 04-19-2008 at 11:38 PM.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Phil-

You pretty well answered the question yourself. It was a matter of different days, diferent times, and into the sun and away from the sun. You realize of course that by just popping out of the iA Mode on the TZ-5 you can totally control the ISO setting, which will then bring the aperture and shutter speed into line.

In this thread I was hoping to demonstrate that the TZ-5 could be used totally automatically by employing the Normal Mode, such as I did in the first photo you were refering to in Dev's thread.

I hope that you have enjoyed the weekend, taking a few photos. The photo prospects here look a bit dismal, as it is pouring down rain right now.

Sarah Joyce

Nice pics Sarah, I'm jealous of that view!
    Driftwood floats after years of erosion
    Incoming tide touches roots to expose them
    Quicksand steals my shoe
    Clouds bring the f-stop blues

--Jack Johnson

Please keep in mind that you cannot use exposure compensation in the iA or Intelligent Auto Mode, if you want to use EV, you must switch over to normal shooting where it is available. This afternoon we had a huge rain shower quickly move through, and it brought with it some great clouds. So I decided to try the vivid mode to capture those great clouds. I hope that all of you will enjoy my efort.

Sarah Joyce

There is strange colour effect on the last image there Sarah. And noise level too at ISO100?
    How is video quality?
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Tim-

I was surpised as well. So for today, I took these three photos while I was grocery shopping this afternoon. All were done in the Normal Mode, with the Flash turned of, and the ISO increased to 800.

Sarah Joyce