Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

14-54mm lens cleaning

Help! I have an E510 that came with the 14-54mm kit lens. I can hear a grinding sound in the lens when I zoom it out and back. (I think it can from a recent excursion to the beach. Does anyone out there have any experience in cleaning this lens?? thanks

Oh, that's so very bad. And damaging. I'd contact Olympus immediately and get an estimate on a tear down and clean. The clearances are so tight I can't think of anything that could slide down a lens tube to dislodge the grit.

Thanks
    I have considered using compressed air but am a bit concerned that it woudl just move the contamination further into the lens. Opinions?

Is that the "dust sealed" 14-54mm lens? Should I be concerned about using mine in dusty/sandy places?

I'd try drawing it out rather than blowing it in. A lightweight vacuum with an upholstery brush. They make adapters for computer cleaning that come with tiny brushes. I use that for cleaning out printers, keyboards, fan assemblies....

I never bring an expensive camera to a beach for casual shooting. Besides the sand you have the heat, humidity, corrosion factor, etc. It's not worth the hassle.
    Last edited by Ken.; 04-23-2008 at 05:46 AM.

It is the kit lens so I doubt it.