Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Hello ALL

Hello ALL

I have been lurking here for a bit and decided to register. This is my 2nd post.
    I have always wanted to take good pics at concerts. Back several years ago I got my first digital camera. It was an Oly C-700 and I thought it was the best! Here is an example of what I took.

Then last year one of my daughters gave me a Canon S3. This really started getting me interested. I will keep this camera as it does pretty good macro work. Here is an example with it.

Then in November of last year, I got my first dSLR. It was a Sony A100: Here is an example with it. This is at a play. I used the Minolta 50mm f1.7 lens with this pic. We were a long ways from the stage.

Then a week ago, I sold the A100 and picked up the A700. At the same time I purchased a used Minolta 28-75 f2.8 lens. WOW!! I still have much to learn, but feel that I now have the right equipment. I was very happy with these.

What a great camera!!

Take care, Ron

Post-processing doesn't hurt, either.

I noticed your ISO pushed up to 1000 allows for some latitude in the shots. The dude with the mike ... shot at f/3.5 and 1/200th. Would 1/100th and f/5 been a little naturally sharper? Or even ISO-800 - f/4.5 - 1/100 sec? I, personally, don't shoot these type of images, so I'm rather curious. A setting of 1/200th seems almost wasteful of the available light and aperture ... if the shot is obtainable at 1/100th.

<shrug>
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

maybe santa will get you a hasselblad hH3DII...

you have a good eye. shot #2 is sensational.

if concerts/ bands are your thing, have a look at dylans work in the nikon d40 section. different camera but the principals will be the same. he's the best concert photographer on this site by miles.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Don, as far as the A700 pics go, there is very little PP that was done. Mainly just cropped and resized. Like I said, I still have MUCH to learn and I am sure that there are much better settings than I used. I am very happy with what I did get though. If you have never shot pics at a concert, it is an entirely different animal and not very easy to do. All I know is that I love the A700 and these are easily the best concert pics I have ever gotten. Even is it was "wasteful of the available light and aperture".
    BTW, I am not sure what the "<shrug>" was for. Your way of saying hi? Very friendly!

SONYNUT, I am not even sure what the hasselblad hH3DII... .

Rooz, thanks for your comments. I will look for some of dylans work and see what I can learn.

Ron

Red face "Best guess" results ...

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Don ... I am not sure what the "<shrug>" was for. Your way of saying hi? Very friendly! ...

Ron
    Nah ... "<shrug>" is my way of saying: "I don't know if the setting suggestions would improve the images at all."

Friendly? It wasn't meant to be ... it was more a technical uncertainty that might be considered on the new go 'round.

We're all friends here ... because the competition is less than fierce. I believe it is all in an effort to improve what we capture. Goodness knows I've spent countless hours trying to discover a way to build a better mousetrap, with this particular camera.

Good luck in all your work!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-19-2008 at 11:40 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Ron looking at that last pic with the strobe light & lighting taken into account & I'm thinking wow, well done, good capture. Good tools help huh.
    Kev.

D200~
    24-70mm f2.8 , 50mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 VR.more