Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Lens Quandry For The XSI

I got the new XSI kit a few days ago - here is my dilemma: I don't know whether to sell the kit lens (18-55 IS) and then purchase a good walk-around lens that would go from approximately 18-250 or to supplement the kit lens with the new 55-250 IS lens (or even the 70-300 IS lens). This would be mostly for walk-around shots - perhaps 20% indoors and 80% outside - visiting with friends and taking photos - traveling, etc. Since I am also in the beginning stages of learning photography I am not sure if the IS lens is the way to go.

Any help and recommendations would be appreciated.

I got myself a Sigma 18-200 OS a week back and I'm happy. But I will agree with what people say here that no single walk around lens can be better than a two lens or more solution. Lens with extreme zoom range seem to be weak at some points of their range. This is a big disadvantage unless you just need a one lens solution for days when you don't really care about sparkling picture quality but will have other lens for those days when quality is of most importance. For me, I plan to add a few more lens to my kit just for those quality days. So in all its your choice. I'm not saying the kit lens with the mentioned telephotos will give you that sparkling quality, but they might perform a little better than an all in one solution. My non-IS kit lens was not so great so my Sigma does overshadow it in comparison shots but the new IS kit lens is supposed to be better (than the old one). Make a decision depending on your preference.

Regarding, IS...It is great to have IS on your lens. Though it won't make it a sure shot solution to every blurry picture situation, but its good enough to assist us. So in my opinion, IS in any lens with more than 125mm is a must (unless you want to carry a tripod everywhere), especially in low light conditions. Though there is one problem I have faced with IS lens, they seem to take more battery then no IS lens, so maybe you'd need to get a back up battery for long trips....
    Last edited by faisal; 04-17-2008 at 11:29 AM.
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Minolta Riva 100AF, Sinpo PQ-3, Olympus mju-III wide 100, Yashica 635
    Digital
    Sony cybershot W90, cybershot T90
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Sigma 24mm f1.8|50mm f2.8|105mm f2.8 Samyang 8mm fisheye
    Portfolio

from what I have heard, the kit lens that comes with the XSI is pretty good--i'm actually considering buying it to replace the kit lens that came with my XTi with the same focal range (but no IS, and I think generally less sharp than the new one).

Its also not a very expensive lens (comparatively), so I am not sure how much you would get for it--and since it probably wasn't relatively that much since it came with the XSI, I would suggest keeping it & supplementing if necessary. You should try using it a bit and see if you like the picture quality you are getting and what you feel is the additional range you are missing. I usually find that I wish I had a wider lens or a shorter focusing distance than a telephoto when I am out just taking pictures. That probably is related to the types of pictures I like to take, but you should see what types of composition you gravitate to most and go from there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Still new to this whole "photography" thing....but lovin' it!

Digital Rebel XTi w/ Kit Lens (18-55); Canon 50/1.8; Canon 70-300IS

My new flikr page

The kit lens does appear to be pretty good - the only reason I would sell it would be if I went to a one all inclusive lens. Yes, it is not very expensive (was an extra $100) but because they are in short supply they are going for $175 - $190! If I went to the one lens then I would put that money towards the new lens - if I keep it then I will most likely get the new 55-250 IS lens - which is going for $275 + -.