Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Nice, clear capture, Frank. Guess he saw you focusing, huh?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks Don
    I had to shoot from the car so it didn't take off right away.
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Red face Osprey/Eagle action

Yes,

It is amazing how skittish these large predatory birds are. There is an Osprey nest, up in Northern Wisconsin, that I am quite familiar with .. and every time I go to get an image ... the bird flies the coup. I mean it is hard enough to navigate to where the nest is ... settle the boat and try to snap something without the trees, branches and other obstructions getting in your way. Plus the constant zooming up and down the river by water-skiers and pleasure crafters. The result wakes tossing you all over the darn place! Oh, image stability ... yeah, forget it. Shooting skyward ... you take a hit with your background being a lot brighter than your subject.

I got this shot of the Osprey, up in the nest, with the Canon EOS 20D w/ TAMRON SP AF 500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD lens

Name:  Osprey---nest.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  167.4 KB
    EXIF: 500mm @ f/10 - 1/1000 sec - ISO-400 - Ap (@ 3PM, 8/13/2006)

Personally, the Osprey can take flight, in my opinion. They're not all that pretty, that's for sure. I am far more interested in getting the Bald Eagle, who lives only about 1/4-mile away from that Osprey nest, in the tallest tree on the river (figures, huh?). Again, he also gets rattled if you get a little too close, which requires you the use of at least a 200mm or better lens. It's kind of hard to hide ... in a boat ... on a river ... bouncing up and down, riding the waves. LOL

Name:  IMG_4517-sm.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  349.7 KB

You can tell, he was "nonchalantly" keeping a wary eye on me ... as I drifted around, pointing that big black Canon at him. LOL

The next opportunity will be this summer, I suspect. I'll take a week and get "the shot." You know ... "the shot" ... that elusive image of your subject that truly defines this bird of prey. The ultimate "action" shot, I suspect. The eagle swooping in, driving it's outstretched talons in for a fish ... or then yanking it out of the river ... soaring skyward ... for lunch.

Anyway, good capture, Frank.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-20-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Adding images
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I added a couple shots that were taken 2 years ago, with a Canon EOS 20D, to the above post. I'm hoping to improve on them this year with the SONY α700.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-20-2008 at 06:22 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Nice shots Don. I haven't seen any eagles around here. Only eagle's fans.LOL I live near Philly. And I have no interest in shooting any of them. LOL I just set up a bird feeder in the back yard. I hope to see the woodpecker I have been seeing. I really like the Kingfisher's I see while fishing. I can't wait to try and get some shots of them.
    Thanks again
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Like I mentioned, it is the difficulty involved in getting these shots that makes them worthwhile. Technically, my work was average, at best. A land-based shot would have been sharper, I'm certain, but floating around on a high-traffic river is a royal pain! LOL Trying desperately to keep from getting your rig wet and ruined.

Anyway ... next time.

Good luck with your planned attempts.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-21-2008 at 11:20 AM.

flickr & Sdi