Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

its_goldie Guest

Nikon D70 and Metz 45 Compatibility problem?

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I, in merging our lives, are trying to merge our equipement as well. I wanted to use her Metz 45 series flash on my Nikon D70, but was told by a fellow at B&H here in NY that they arent compatible. Is this true? Seems in a world of accessories that there must be something to connect 2 huge selling products like these.

Best,
    Michael
    goldemi@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by its_goldie
    Hello all,

My girlfriend and I, in merging our lives, are trying to merge our equipement as well. I wanted to use her Metz 45 series flash on my Nikon D70, but was told by a fellow at B&H here in NY that they arent compatible. Is this true? Seems in a world of accessories that there must be something to connect 2 huge selling products like these.

Best,
    Michael
    goldemi@yahoo.com
    What camera was the Metz designed to fit? If it's not Nikon then that is the problem. Also, even if it is a center fired or nikon pinout base, you won't be able to take advantage of the terrific iTTL monitoring and exposure capability of the D70, as there will be no communication with the camera. Even the older Nikon SB20 and 50 series don't work well with the D70.

If you want external flash, then your next investment should be an SB600 or SB800. Other than that the D70's built-in speedlight is one of the better built-ins out there, once you learn how to use it.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    What camera was the Metz designed to fit? If it's not Nikon then that is the problem. Also, even if it is a center fired or nikon pinout base, you won't be able to take advantage of the terrific iTTL monitoring and exposure capability of the D70, as there will be no communication with the camera. Even the older Nikon SB20 and 50 series don't work well with the D70.

If you want external flash, then your next investment should be an SB600 or SB800. Other than that the D70's built-in speedlight is one of the better built-ins out there, once you learn how to use it.
    Ah. Now I have a Metz 45 CT1. It's a manual flash with an auto sensor. Simply set on the dial on the top, the correct settings for the film in use and the power required and the flash works the rest out.

I suspect what the guy in the shop was trying to say was that some cameras can't take the full voltage that some of the older flashes used to put through them. I suspect the D70 will be able to take it. I don't know what the voltage passing through the PC cable on the Metz 45 actually is though.

Personally, I'll be using my Metz 45 CT1 if and when I get a DSLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    Ah. Now I have a Metz 45 CT1. It's a manual flash with an auto sensor. Simply set on the dial on the top, the correct settings for the film in use and the power required and the flash works the rest out.

I suspect what the guy in the shop was trying to say was that some cameras can't take the full voltage that some of the older flashes used to put through them. I suspect the D70 will be able to take it. I don't know what the voltage passing through the PC cable on the Metz 45 actually is though.

Personally, I'll be using my Metz 45 CT1 if and when I get a DSLR.
    Doh! Good luck with that Rhys. Let us know how it turns out.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/