Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Ahmad-Mbark Guest

Sony SAL-24105 24-105mm

Hi All,
    I am thinking about buying one and would like any feedback, good, bad and the ugly.
    Sony SAL-24105 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5 Aspherical Zoom Lens for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Camera

Sony Alpha A700
    Lens Bad Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Yemen - Sanaa

Ahmad Mobark

I have nothing on this lens ... and I am reluctant to invest in it as a walk around, compared to the results I've been able to acheive with the TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF)

I had a TAMRON SP AF 28-105mm f/2.8 LD for the Canon EOS 20D, but it was kind of heavy (32 oz), due to all the glass involved. The 17-50 only weighs 16 ounces, so it is a light carry, but the SONY 24-105mm weighs only 14 ounces, so that's a wash.

What you will miss is the wider focal length ... 24 equates to about 35mm, on a full frame camera, whereas the 17mm is roughly 28mm, the standard wide angle shot. Personally, I like that wider stuff, walking around. The base aperture of f/2.8 throughout the focal length also makes indoor shooting a bit nicer, as far as coping with standard lighting. f/4.5 tends to be a little too dark to use and you will begin to see noise, if the lighting is not adequate.

Good luck with your decision
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-17-2008 at 09:15 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi