Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool Cropping ... for distance

TenD ... I've looked at the Moonshot a couple times, with crop ... and I believe it tends to lose a lot of the drama, by shortening it. It has a certain "spire" effect to it, that gets lost by trimming it down. The moon tends to look like it has a ways to go into the night sky, which leaves you with a kind of growing "anticipation."

I've gotten a lot of good responses with it just the way it is ... so my gut says: "leave it alone.", but I do appreciate the suggestion. Proportionally, shortening it just tends to ruin the flow, dark to light.

Just to placate you and, perhaps, further the discussion ... here is a shot at a crop:

Name:  Moonshot-Red-Rocks-(crop2).jpg
Views: 63
Size:  418.9 KB

... and, I'm going to post it in "Moonshots" in the Gallery. LOL That'll teach 'em!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-16-2008 at 07:05 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I did make some recent edits to the string of images ... for continuity purposes. I hope they improve the flow.

Enjoy and thanks for looking. It was a blast.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Talking Back at Lowry AFB ...

One of the stranger things I did locate, on my 30-year later return to Lowry AFB, in Denver,
    was in "Hanger 1" ...

Name:  X-wing-Lowry.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  115.7 KB

No kidding, a "Death Star"-killing X-wing fighter, complete with a shiny, new R-2 Unit, the "Ultimate Backseat Driver".

Name:  ultimate-backseat-driver.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  258.8 KB

"Lift these, I can ... "

Name:  yoda-dagobah1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  27.6 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-25-2008 at 10:47 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Looking back ...

I went a little further, reviewing that Cadet Chapel Roof shot I did ... saw the deep saturation the A700 gave it, in its rather uncorrected form ... and wondered, HDR?

So, here it is ...

Name:  USAFA-CC-Roof_HDR2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  267.3 KB

A little too sterile, for my tastes.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-25-2008 at 12:02 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Along the way ...

One of the most curious things I found, driving up through the mountains, along US-6 ... given the season, was this ...

"Snowfall"
    Name:  snowfall.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  282.5 KB

Honest to jake ... 60-degree day ... and solid snow. I saw it as I was driving up into the mountains, on US-6 ... I parked the car about 1/4-mile further up and hiked back, to try and get it right.

On the flipside, traveling down the mountains, on the Golden Gate Canyon Road (which is just an excuse for a dry road slalom you can run your sports car down) ... toward Golden, CO ... this valley along the way. Yes, that is a cliff edge ... and the road has limited guardrails.

Name:  The-Golden-Gate-Parkway.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  328.9 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-25-2008 at 12:05 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up Man ... what a shot this was!

Wow ...

I got a nice surprise, today, when the American Institute of Architecture contacted me for permission to use my USAFA Cadet Chapel Interior Roof shot in their upcoming "Shape of America" project.

I tell you, that is some kind of "turn-around" for production ... I only took the shot less than two weeks ago!

Name:  Interior-roof-Cadet-Chapel.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  228.8 KB
    EXIF: SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6 @ 10mm - f/4 - 1/15 sec. - ISO-400 - Manual - Handheld

It is getting better, everyday.

My advice: Get a SONY DSLR and decent glass ... and quit foolin' around! I, honestly, could not have gotten this without the SIGMA's yawning 10mm range. It was the very reason I bought it ... and dog gone ... good choice, apparently. Well, some technique and the SONY α700's Super SteadyShot™ might have a little to do with it ... but, for goodness sake, don't tell that to the photographer. He's just holding the camera "at the ready", right? The images form themselves ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-25-2008 at 11:47 AM.

flickr & Sdi