Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Why Not Buy an Olympus C-7070?

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't buy an Olympus C-7070??
    I started out in the digicam world Jan04 with my C740UZ which is great. Now I want to get a wider lens and a noticable increase in resolution, without loosing the various usefull adjustments I already have with the C-740. - Now I was thinking about the Canon G6, although it wasn't quite wide enough - I thought I could get a wide adaptor. The S-70 is nice but has too much purple fringing. Someone kindly pointed me to the C-5060 Oly which certainly has a good image quality - though maybe not quite the resolution increase I hoped for - it's almost too big but just about OK. (The 8080 is lovely but too big for married life if you get me!) Now the C-7070 is about to appear and so seems to be the answer. It should compliment the C-740 nicely - does anyone fancy telling me if there is good reason not to buy one??
    Geoff.

Geoff,

There is a lot of discussion regarding the C-7070 here

As a stand alone camera and as an upgrade to the C-5060.

Hope this helps
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-1 | Olympus 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 | Olympus 50mm f2.0 Macro | Olympus 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 | Olympus FL-50R Flash

Thumbs up Thanks Jim

That's great ~thanks!
    & I'll copy my message to there as well.
    Geoff

No Probs

Have you found any details on availability in the UK yet?

www.unbeatable.co.uk have it listed as special order, but thats all I have found.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-1 | Olympus 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 | Olympus 50mm f2.0 Macro | Olympus 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 | Olympus FL-50R Flash

7070 local availability..

Should be available soon in a local shop - but they will be charging top dollar (or pound in my case!!) ~ they have therir last 5060 going for 499= not good! I'm hoping that Jessops will do it as they will match cheaper prices - but they never had the 5060. It's tricky as I want to handle one and try it for size as it were before buying _ if I don't like it (unlikely but a possibility) I will have to go round the loop again. So let's hope I like it!!
    I see you have the 5060 on your list ~ what's the screen like?? I am so used the the 740's EVF I only use that all the time and find it's 1.5inch screen to small to use.
    thanks for updating me

Geoff

You might be able to get your hands on a C-5060 at John Lewis, the Aberdeen store had stock of them.

Also can you not get Jessops to bring one in for you to try, thats what I did.

Also with regards the screen, yes it is a little small. BUT the fact that it folds in ever direction makes up for its size.

On the C-7070 Ace Cameras in Bristol think they may have stock in 2 weeks.

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks again

The Jessops Idea is quite a good one - there's a John Lewis in Kingston - not too near but do able. Or I could look at the 5060 in my local shop - Wallington Surrey, I suspect their price will be outrageous! Given that they are selling the 5060 at 499=
    Jessops have already said call back nearer feb to see if they have them.

Thanks again for the help

Geoff

Pleasure Geoff

I too am very keen to try a C-7070, although having a C-5060 I am sure I could just get one when they are available, especialy if somewhere sells it for around 400. Is seems to be listed @ $699 in the US which is about 385 excluding shipping and any import tax, so I guess anything around 425 to 450 would be the UK equivelent. Like all cams though, it will be in the mid 300's after the initial surge.

These people are pretty good for Olympus supply. Had a few bits and pieces from them.

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/olympusdigitalcamera.html