Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Lithium vs NiMH AA batteries

I have a Canon Powershot S2 IS. The camera manual recommends use of NiMH rechargeable batteries which I have been using. Recently I found my self in an emergency situation where my batteries went down and I bought Energizer AA lithium batteries. The camera seemed to operate normally. My question is, does it matter which battery type is used as long as they are AA, (1.2 lithium vs 1.5 V NiMH ratings)?

No, it doesn't make any difference as long as they're AA's. Alkalines won't do you a whole lot of good (extremely short life), but you can use any AA.
    I have a camera. It takes pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by camerabug View Post
    I have a Canon Powershot S2 IS. The camera manual recommends use of NiMH rechargeable batteries which I have been using. Recently I found my self in an emergency situation where my batteries went down and I bought Energizer AA lithium batteries. The camera seemed to operate normally. My question is, does it matter which battery type is used as long as they are AA, (1.2 lithium vs 1.5 V NiMH ratings)?
    I don't think it matters really. However I believe some/most cameras have a setting where you can select which battery type is being used between the two (Alkaline / Ni-MH) so it can adjust itself for optimal performance. Hope that helps.

The "Lithium" batteries you used were non-rechargeable. Those are the best non-rechargeable AA's you can buy and using them is fine.

However the best route to go is to get yourself some Eneloops.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

For recharging purposes, would the La Crosse BC-900 be better/quicker than Sanyo's recharger? I've read it takes seven hours to recharge the Eneloops in Sanyo's system as opposed to the La Crosse.

There's a reason for that - it's better for them.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

That still seems like an excessive amount of time. Four hours should be sufficient to recharge any battery. The LaCrosse listed on Amazon even gives you four AA's and AAA's along with some C and D batteries. With four of the Eneloop's, that totals $52.89. Seems like a decent charger and versatile plus, you get four Eneloops and four LaCross batteries.

I personally use a 1 hour charger (none of my cameras take AA's anymore, but in the past I've used them and still use them for my xbox controller and other stuff around the house) and batteries, and it's true that the heat is bad for the batteries and they don't last as long, but we're not talking night and day difference. I'd just rather have my batteries ready in an hour and have to replace them once a year than wait 7 hours and only have to replace them every 2 or 3 years.

Having said that, Enloops are reportedly the best battery/charger set currently going. But if you're like me, quicker chargers are a compromise you might be very willing to make.
    I have a camera. It takes pictures.

The batteries fill to a higher capacity when charged slower. 1 hour is just way too fast, and you will never get the full mAh out of them.

What's so urgent that they have to be done in 1 hour? I plug mine in when I go to bed, and they are full when I wake up. If you have multiple sets you won't ever run into a time where you will say "crap! I have to charge these now!".

I'd rather not risk them bursting or catching fire because I'm so impatient I can't charge them overnight.

For Sale:

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    What's so urgent that they have to be done in 1 hour?
    Try having 12 sets.
    Ouch.