Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Camera for indoor baby shots

My baby girl is growing up in front of my eyes and I'm going nuts trying to pick a camera so I can capture her moments. Looking for something fast because with kids sometimes the most photographable moments are so fleeting. Also, I find flash tends to make photos look harsh but w/o it I get blur issues.... hoping to limit the number of harsh and blurry baby pics. Would love your help! Thanks a million!

Budget
    $500 max, would prefer to spend $100-$300

Size
    prefer compact or smaller

What optical zoom will you need? Standard would probably be fine

How important is “image quality” to you? 7

Do you care for manual controls? nice-to-have

What will you generally use the camera for? taking indoor pictures of my 3-month-old baby

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? rarely, most pics will stay digital. For when I do make prints, probably would want a few 8x10s but mostly 5x7 or smaller.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? yes (as per my intro paragraph I would like to do so without harsh flash or blurriness)

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? as baby begins to crawl and walk I'll want lots of photos of that

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Canon Powershot A720 IS, 650 IS, Fuji f100fd, f40fd, Sony W150, W170 (thanks KC... saw that you are here too)

Do you need any of the following special features? Possibly image stabilization? A viewfinder would be a nice-to-have.

Sami-

While it is easy to be close enough for easy photos, now as your baby is only 3 month old. There may come a time, as your baby vecomes a toddler, when you will want both more zoom and better perhaps a better flash range. Toddlers at the age of 18 to 36 months are quite mobile and scoot around very quickly. So the idea of the Canon A-720 is a good one. However, its flash range is a bit limited and it has a slow flash recycle time, neither of which you might want to deal with when you see the "perfect shot" and your equipment sort of holds you back.

Take a look at the Sony H-3. It does not have OVF, but it has 10X optical zoom and a flash range that goes out to 20 feet. It also operates very well in the Automatic Mode, but also has manual controls too.

'Just a few thoughts, I'm sure that you will find the perfect camera for your needs. I understand children's photos, as I raised 8 children. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce

Welcome to DCresource sami. I think generally the P&S class cameras are taken more seriously here than on the other sites. Sarah is really a super talent here.

Kelly

Horses 4 courses?

As a Canon A720 IS owner, I always like to give the product a thumbs up for the sort of photography you're looking at.

I notice that you'd like to have an eye-level viewfinder, plus manual settings, both of which the A720 has, whereas the Sony H-3 has neither.

The Sony H-3 has what I'd call a pseudo "manual" setting, and which most other manufacturers call a "program" setting. This means that it doesn't have aperture or shutter priority, which for me would be a deal-breaker with the Sony H-3. Personally, I'd never buy a camera without full manual controls — but then I'm from the old school LOL!

In actuality, there's probably a dozen cameras out there that'd suit you, so you're probably gonna have to do a fair bit of reading (groan...) before you finally make up your mind.

Cheers

sami-

You have two suggestions. Where do we go from here? Possibly a Panasonic TZ-5?

Sarah Joyce

Have you considered the Panasonic FS3 or FS5? They've been getting excellent reviews and they seem to take good pictures in low light.
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS
    Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries

Update- I'm deciding between the Sony W300 and the Sony H50

Any opinions on which one would be better given my initial criteria? The cost difference is not a factor since it is so small.

Thanks!

no harsh flash or bluriness of a baby crawling and soon running around indoors ?? hate to tell you this but no compact is capable of doing it very well in low lit indoors envrionments unless is is VERY well lit. just dont want you to be grossly disappointed.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Hi Rooz- yep, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much... thanks for the heads-up, though I guess I'm looking for the least worst of these 2, then

for $500 you could get a d40 which will be vastly superior for your intended use. i understand its much bigger but its also far more suited to the conditions you have described. harsh flash photos are generally caused by built in flash's that are really poor quality. add another $100 for an sb400 flash to mount on it, spend a tiny bit of time learning how to use it and you get this sort of quality with bare minimal effort.

you say you want no blurriness. well image stabilisation isnt goign to help with that. I.S only helps when your subject isnt moving and as you already have gathered...kids dont sit still for long. so the only way to "freeze" the action is by using a higher shutter speed or flash.

with a compact you run into problems in both areas...

high shutter speed indoors typically requires a higher iso setting. compacts are notoriously...well...crap at this. and as for flash, they are generally horrid efforts. dont get me wrong, a dslr isnt for everyone, and maybe a compact is exactly what you need. just presenting you with another alternative which will yield vastly better shots.

do yourself a favour...pop into a shop and check one out. who knows you may be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to use and how compact it is.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr