Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

ovaliente Guest

Sony Alpha and sigma lens problem

Hi everyone, I bought a Sony A700 about a year ago and at the same time got a Sigma telephoto/macro lens for it. I've been shooting with that lens for some time now and just last night I was putting the lens on and as soon as I turned the camera on, it started making this awful noise...so I freaked out and turned it off...the noise kept going for 1 or 2 seconds and then it stopped..... can anyone tell me what's wrong??....thanks

I believe the A700 may have stripped out the teeth of the SIGMA's internal focus ring. This is a common problem, due to the high amount of torque the A700 focusing motor has driving the lens. I would suspect your lens is probably ruined and will require service. The A700 is probably fine ... just use a better lens that's designed to work on it, to avoid future problems.

Read this thread (<- Click on this) concenring this problem

Good luck in your repair.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-15-2008 at 05:24 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi