Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Memory card for Canon S5IS

With help from this forum I decided on and purchased the Canon S5IS.

Now comes the daunting task of trying to muddle thru the overwhelming information of the various compact flash (CF) cards available.

I looked in the memory card section and did not find much info there so I thought I would post here in the Canon section and get opinions from people that actually own the Canon S5IS (and others).

Things that I consider in CF cards:

1. Best card to utilize all the features of the Canon S5IS (fastest card?)

2. Capacity not so much as issue as I don't mind carrying multiple cards and
    I understand large capacity cards (8GB and above) take much longer to
    transfer to pc.

3. I much prefer using a card reader over plugging camera via USB for transfer
    to pc. (though I could be swayed differently if it piqued my interest)

Thanks in advance!

Any SD card will do. Unless you take a lot of videos, I don't think you need the fastest card available.

I have a 2gb Kingston Elite SD card on my 8mp Canon A720. It writes quickly and has a capacity of over 900 shots on fine quality. I think I paid about $25.
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS
    Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries

Rickily-

Andy gave you the exactly correct answer. Just please remember that the Canon S-5 uses SD card NOT CF cards. We don't want you purchasing the incorrect card.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will search in SD as that is what my photo printer reads.

It just seems more handy for me to plug the card in the reader slot and transfer to Picassa, especially since Picassa is what my wife uses for all her photo tasks.....and no extra wires to contend with.

Too bad Hp doesn't have a driver update to make the SD reader also read SDHC... or at least, I couldn't find anything regarding that on HP website.

So I guess the basic difference in SD and SDHC is capacity over 2GB?

Thanks again!

Yes, Rickily-

The difference between the conventional SD cards and SDHC is the capacity. If you do not high capicty, the cards of less the 1 gb are a good buy right now.

Sarah Joyce

If you want to take movies I would get a larger card 1 gb is limiting for video on the S5.
    I doesn't matter what card the printer uses if it doesn't fit into the camera. Make sure you get SD NOT CF. You may also want to get a better flash that you can bounce
    40D 28-135 IS USM, 70-200 f4L IS,, 18-50 f2.8, 430 EX II, Canon S3

“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

“The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance.”

Benjamin Franklin

Is 2GB the largest made in SD right now?

How many minutes of video at the highest quality setting can I expect from 2GB?

Quote Originally Posted by rickily View Post
    Is 2GB the largest made in SD right now?

How many minutes of video at the highest quality setting can I expect from 2GB?
    Technically SD goes to 4GB, but you'd be better of with 2GB if you decide not to get SDHC (it's kind of a hack that they get it to 4GB without SDHC, so why take the chance?). You'll get about 20 minutes from a 2GB card on the S5.
    I have a camera. It takes pictures.

Ah...excuse me...guys...fact check time!!!

The Canon S5 FULLY SUPPORTS SDHC. There is absolutely no reason on earth that you cannot use an SDHC card...currently up to 16GB...in it. Whether you want to or not is a completely different thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-16GB...8037934&sr=8-1

Unless I'm missing something here, the thread title was "Memory card for Canon S5IS"...
    Last edited by JTL; 04-12-2008 at 03:13 PM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Quote Originally Posted by JTL View Post
    Ah...excuse me...guys...fact check time!!!

The Canon S5 FULLY SUPPORTS SDHC. There is absolutely no reason on earth that you cannot use an SDHC card...currently up to 16GB...in it. .
    Why so defensive? I'm not seeing anywhere where anyone said the S5 couldn't use SDHC. We're going off the statements:

I think I will search in SD as that is what my photo printer reads.

It just seems more handy for me to plug the card in the reader slot and transfer to Picassa, especially since Picassa is what my wife uses for all her photo tasks.....and no extra wires to contend with.

Too bad Hp doesn't have a driver update to make the SD reader also read SDHC... or at least, I couldn't find anything regarding that on HP website.
    and

Capacity not so much as issue as I don't mind carrying multiple cards and
    I understand large capacity cards (8GB and above) take much longer to transfer to pc.
    I have a camera. It takes pictures.