Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tanzania & Dubai

Hi all,
    So I've been offline for a while (in part b/c law school is really kickin' my a** right about now, and in part b/c of spring break). Before I left, I was asking around for advice on zoom lenses for my XTi, so I figured it was time to take a moment and share some of my favorite pictures from the trip.

One problem was low lighting in a lot of situations (and the flash made the pics look really yuck), so some that I really like composition-wise are more blurry than I would have liked. I haven't had a chance to edit any of these on photoshop (partly b/c I don't know how, so it would take me a while to figure out what I need to do with the program & I dont have that time to spare right now...and partly b/c I don't even really know what the capabilities of photoshop ARE, so I wouldn't even know where to start).

So, if anyone has any suggestions about post-processing that I could do on these photos feel free to pass them along (but speak SLOWLY!!).

I really like the scale & layers in this pic, but I need to find a way to really make it pop.

I like the co-habitation of wildlife in this photo

Geoffrey!

Needs some cropping, and the background isnt that interesting...any suggestions to punch it up?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Still new to this whole "photography" thing....but lovin' it!

Digital Rebel XTi w/ Kit Lens (18-55); Canon 50/1.8; Canon 70-300IS

My new flikr page

Don't see any pictures...and how did you like Dubai....
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Minolta Riva 100AF, Sinpo PQ-3, Olympus mju-III wide 100, Yashica 635
    Digital
    Sony cybershot W90, cybershot T90
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Sigma 24mm f1.8|50mm f2.8|105mm f2.8 Samyang 8mm fisheye
    Portfolio

More random tanzania & Dubai shots:

Sunset at Ngorognoro Crater:

Palm trees in Zanzibar:

Magic Lamps in Dubai

I know there were REAL camels there...but these were much more attractive (with a lower threat of spitting!)

Friends riding into the sunset at a "desert safari"

My first Hookah! This is one of the ones that is a bit blurry. It looks ok small, but if you know anyway that I can make it so that it looks sharp at a larger size (like 5 x 7), and without it getting grainy, that would be very appreciated:

Ditto on the blurriness thing:

Ditto on the Ditto:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My new flikr page

are the pictures still not showing up????? I am seeing them on my cpu.

I actually wasn't THAT bowled over by Dubai. We were only there 2 days, on a layover from Tanzania. I personally didn't think it was that exciting or interesting. It was very much like the US. I did like the "desert safari" event that we went on, but the beaches were just okay (sand was very nice though--extremely soft, but the beach itself was kinda boring & the water wasn't as warm as in Zanzibar, where we had just left). The shopping was pretty much like in the US, and the clubs were just alright. Maybe if I had the chance to go on more cultural explorations--like the guided tour of the mosques or things like that I would have a different opinion.

I am glad that I went, b/c if not for this trip that is not someplace I would ever be able to go on my own (or even think to go!), but given how much hype surrounds Dubai (at least among college students) I think it is a bit overrated as a vacation destination--at least for the not super-rich. :-( Sorry to say.
    Last edited by moneypenny02; 04-11-2008 at 03:36 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My new flikr page

pics look great. some real beauties in there. nicely done. probably needs a bit of a L&C bump to make them stand out.

the elephant one is my favourite. a suggested improvement to give it some depth...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I still can't see the pictures...anyone else with the same problem???

It is over rated to be honest as I prefer the quieter Dubai to the new Dubai they are trying to promote. The cultural side of UAE as a whole is more interesting.
    The water not hot enough....hmm...you should be here in June-Sept...then you'll know what hot is... :P
    I think Dubai might be a great place for the not super-rich in about 2-3 years I would say....

EDIT: just realised you've uploaded the pics on Flickr which is blocked here...annoying...
    Last edited by faisal; 04-12-2008 at 06:48 AM.
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Minolta Riva 100AF, Sinpo PQ-3, Olympus mju-III wide 100, Yashica 635
    Digital
    Sony cybershot W90, cybershot T90
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Sigma 24mm f1.8|50mm f2.8|105mm f2.8 Samyang 8mm fisheye
    Portfolio

Thanks Rooz....So, Im a complete photoshop newbie...what does L& C mean?

Also, what did you end up doing to that pic to make the colors pop like that?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My new flikr page

sorry, L&C = levels and curves. just apply a gentle S curve. dragging the shadows down a tad and the highlights up a little. thats generally the easist way to bump your contrast and give it more pop.

i also did quite a few localised adjustments to your pic. they dont take long in NX but i'm not sure how long it would take in photoshop with layers.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Question what about blurry pics?

Thanks!

Any suggestions for making the object in the foreground in some of the other pictures less blurry--or is that a lost cause?

It really sucks b/c some of my favorite pictures ended up being taken in low-light situation, and the pop-up flash usually ruined the shot I was aiming for (in terms of color and DOF). Even wide-open with my 55mm /1.8 I couldn't get enough light to take a sharp picture.

Any suggestions for either post-processing, or even how to deal with that situation while shooting (using an Xti).

Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My new flikr page

What version of photoshop are you using? You could try using a sharpening filter. The hookah looks reasonably sharp I don't believe you would have any problems printing it, you may want to. Some very enjoyable images, if the last one is a self portrait I'd like to see one that's not blurred and better lighting.

Back to the hookah in ACR I adjusted the temperature to -33, exposure 65, contrast 9, vibrance 40, sharpening 30, then in photoshop used selective color to pull some reds out and finally smart sharpen 12.

I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%