Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Newbie help

Newbie help

I am new to the dslr world. I have the sony a200. I am a very novice photog mainly just close shots of the 1 year old. I also play competitive softball and I would like to get some action shots out at the field.

I am looking to get a telephoto lens. I have the sony 70mm that came with the camera. I also have an older tamron 70-210mm telephoto from my old Minolta camera. Will this lens do? If not what should I look at?

Also what are the thoughts on getting a 28-300mm lens. Since I am just novice is it a bad idea to just have one lens to capture all the shots I would need?

Thanks

Is The Tamron Auto Focus?

A one lens solution is fine ... but, I would lean more toward TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII LD lens, rather than the 28-300mm. It was designed for use on the APS-C sensor, where the 28-300 is more designed for "full frame" and 35-film camera performance, providing roughly the same coverage in those formats.

This lens has the longest magnification focal length range of any of them, 14.3x. It will cover nearly all your needs wide and long, where the 28-300 leaves the wide-shots rather empty, requiring you to switch back to the SONY 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 you got with the camera. That particular lens does not deliver as nice or as bright a shot as the 18-250 can. In fact, if you do get the 18-250 ... you can put the 18-70 on the shelf, as reserve ... and eliminate having to carry it in your bag.

Anyway, for either 18-250 or the 28-300, you will have to use the pop-up flash, indoors ... as these lenses tend to darken up around 60mm (f/5.6).

Name:  18-250-+-A100.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  228.2 KB
    A100 w/ TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII LD Aspherical (IF)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-09-2008 at 07:12 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks for the help. The tamron I currently have is auto focus. Like Don said it sounds like I will just lose the wide angle with it.

If Its Auto Then It Will Work..the Thing To Remenber Is Since Your Camera Has A Smaller Than Regular Film Sized Sensor. It Will Realistically Be A 105-315

Take Your Lens Size And Multiply It Mm X 1.5 ..