Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biology w/ A700

Talking Biology w/ A700

Yes ... you can do your Biology Lab homework with a DSLR.

Tonight, after a couple weeks of waiting, I got a chance to use my microscope adapter with the SONY α700.

The lab assignment was to run a set of microscope slides displaying various types of plant structure.

So ... here is the entire set of slide samples. Who knows, maybe someone else taking BIO 101 can make use of these images, too. Sure beats eyeballing and drawing this stuff.

ROOT TIP @ 100x
    Name:  Root-Tip.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  188.3 KB

Monocot Root X-section @ 100x
    Name:  Monocot-Root-X-section.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  221.7 KB

Dicot Root X-section @ 100x
    Name:  Dicot-Root-X-section.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  206.5 KB

Monocot Herbaceous Stem X-section (HDR) @ 100x
    Name:  Monocor-Herbaceous-Stem_HDR2.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  223.8 KB

Dicot Herbaceous Stem X-section @ 40x
    Name:  Dicot-Herbaceous-Stem.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  226.8 KB

Woody Stem X-section @ 100x (HDR)
    Name:  Woody-Stem-X-section_HDR2.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  231.8 KB

Dicor Leaf X-section @ 400x (HDR)
    Name:  Leaf-X-section_HDR2.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  211.8 KB

Leaf Epidermous @ 40x (HDR)
    Name:  Leaf-Epidermus_HDR2.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  126.4 KB

Of course, the class was impressed ... my lab partner was overjoyed at not having to draw the damn things ... and I was captivated with the possibilities of this type photography - a big switch from your standard lenses. Just stick the snorkel tip down the ocular tube, focus, adjust for timed exposure and fire away. The first shots were kind of okay ... but, the lighting was really off. What could I do to fix it? Then, I thought ... "What about HDR?"

These were taken with your standard school dual 23mm-ocular microscope. I would suspect having your own personal microscope might be a bit cleaner and better maintained. God only knows how many students have wrestled with this one.

I know the lighting truly was quite poor. I'll have to work on that. Like I asaid, halfway through I went with an HDR approach (1 f-stop up and down) to try and milk some more definition from the samples, because of the rather poor lighting. Sharpening also helped enormously to improve definition.

Anyway ... it was a hurried first attempt (everyone always books at night school) ... and it really does capture the intent of the imaging, I do believe.

The adapter is a "T-mount", so you can get an adapter ring for just about any camera body. The entire contraption was around 3-bills, which is a lot cheaper than a $1500 photographic microscope.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-08-2008 at 07:10 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

160x of some blood
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 01-11-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Lightbulb

What adapter did you use for this?

If it isn't moving ... up the exposure time. Whatever light that is available will accumulate and allow for better color and definition.

Name:  BLOODsmall improved.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  347.0 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-08-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

One I Machined One Years Ago...that One Is At 1 Sec..the Little Buggers Like To Move Though

Lightbulb

Obviously, a good light source is key ... just like in any photography. But, again, it's a school microscope. I always find it hard to work with "common" tools. Probably why I'm broke more often than not ... quality comes at a premium.

I was perusing the microscope websites, to get a feel for the cost of these devices in today's world. They really do range in price, as one might suspect, just like cameras. A fairly decent 40-100-400-1000x dual ocular can range from $600 - $1600. You can add the tri-ocular for your camera for not that much more.

Name:  OM139_1.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  16.4 KB

Food for thought, in case I suddenly become a clinical medical technician ... but, I couldn't withstand the cut in pay. Guess I'll just do it for fun ... not profit. Unfortunately, the boy is too old for this, to use the old "it's for eductional purposes" excuse, and you just know the wife is going to notice it ... unlike another killer lens in the bag.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-08-2008 at 04:42 PM.

flickr & Sdi

This Is A Good Ol Wesco...not To Many Around. But It Works Great

Doesn't Have A Camera Port Though...i Just Pull Out One Of The Eyepieces
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 01-11-2010 at 06:54 PM.

This is the microscope of today, though. USB supported.

Name:  OMD336e.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  8.1 KB Name:  OMD336f.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  14.0 KB

$1600
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-08-2008 at 07:08 PM.

flickr & Sdi

You Would Think Doctors Would Actually Use One...they Are Hung Up On Tests,tests,tests

Btw I Also Made A Video Adapter For My Scope...things Get Realy Big On A 42" Plasma..lol

I personally use either a dedicated microscope camera such as this:

or an adapter I have for use on a P&S. Nikon used to have threads right on the lenses for their Coolpix 990 and 995 cameras which screwed directly onto this Leitz microscope eyepiece, but it also will work on other cameras with an adapter as you see here with the Coolpix 5000.

I am unsure if Leitz still makes this eyepiece, but if you want to get adapters, they can be found in this location for basically any digital camera.

Ray.