Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Advice: SD890IS / SD790IS / SD870IS

Which camera should I buy?

Thank you all in advance!!!
    ---------------------------------------------

Budget: $400 max

Size: Image Quality (up to 10x14 enlargements) is most important...considering 8MB and the newer 10MB ones

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    I want something that fits easily in my shirt pocket: point and shoot ultra-compact

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 8MB

* What optical zoom will you need? Standard

* How important is “image quality” to you? 10
    Do you care for manual controls? Not particularly

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? 70% Vacation pictures (mostly outdoor under a variety of lighting conditions) and 30% some indoor (again, under a variety of lighting conditions)

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Yes

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Some. About 30% of the time.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Probably not.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    I have had good luck with Canon. My wife has a Sony T5, and I do not like the image quality at all.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Canon SD890IS, Canon SD790IS, Canon SD870IS (although I am concerned that many users seem to think the image quality on the 870IS is "soft" and not that good)

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Image Stabilization with Face Detection

-----------------------------------------

Rick-

Thanks for completing the form. I personally tried the Canon SD-870 IS because I wanted the 28 mm wide angle feature. But I did miss not having the OVF and I did feel that the 28mm images were soft at the image edges, and the images also showed a fair amount of barrel distortion. Therefore, I purchased the SD-850IS camera that does have an OVF, but no wide angle.

I have been very happy with the SD-850IS and love its small size and mostly metal construction.

Sarah Joyce
    Last edited by speaklightly; 04-09-2008 at 09:02 AM.

The image quality of the SD870 is very similar to that on my SD800, which uses the same wide angle lens. Yes, there is distortion and softness at the edges, but for me it was worth it to get the wide angle lens. I wouldn't buy the 870 because I won't go without an OVF, but not because of the image quality.

The SD890 looks good on paper, I'm tempted to look at that the next time I upgrade.

Thanks all for your advice.

After A LOT of hemming and hawing, I initially decided to look for a good deal on a SD850IS as Sarah recommended. The problem I ran into was none of the camera stores local to me had them anymore --- Circuit City, Costco, Best Buy, Ritz Camera. The closest I got was Staples was selling them at "clearance" for $270, but the 4 Staples stores near me were all sold out.

Timing is important here as I will be leaving on a trip soon and want the camera with me.

So, I went with the Canon SD890IS --- the more I looked at it (and input/advice I received), it appeared to me the this camera is the likely successor to the 850IS. I bought it at Costco for $350 which is about $50 less than anyplace else.

Rick-

It sounds like you are all set now. Yes, the SD-890 is the follow-on camera for the SD-850. I was hoping to save you some $$. 'Glad we could help.

Sarah Joyce

Update: After First Use of SD890IS

Update: after using the Canon SD890IS for 8 days. Bottom-line: confused and somewhat disappointed.

I bought it just before leaving on vacation a week ago --- to take pictures while traveling in Toulouse and Rome. The pictures looked great on the camera LCD...however, I have mixed feelings seeing them now on a higher definition PC screen.

I took about 300 photos in total. I originally thought, viewing them on my laptop Windows PC, that most seem "softer" than I would ordinarily like ---- almost all required "sharpening" and tweaking using Picasa (I would have expected a few like that...but almost all?).

I then moved the pictures to my 24" iMac --- and the majority appeared significantly better. Some required tweaking, but this time only a handful.

So, right now I am confused --- is it me and my unfamiliarity with a new camera? is it the camera? both?

I bought it at the local Costco (which has a great return policy), and I am seriously considering returning it. I'll then wait a bit for a few more serious reviews.

But, I am very disappointed. The ergonomics of the camera were superb: very easy to handle; controls are very good; fits comfortably in jeans pocket; documentation is OK (some control setting explanations are not the greatest in the world). But, my primary consideration was image quality --- and I think this may be its weal point.

I'll be interested in hearing other users' opinions as well.

Rick-

I have never failed to get excellent photos from Canon Sd-series cameras. I honestly believe that you have to be a bit more patient with the SD-890, or go ahead and return the SD-890 to Costco and give some serious consideration to the Canon A-series cameras, such as the A-590IS, or the A-720IS.

Here is photo that I took this morning, using my SD-700IS, the predesessor to the SD-850IS. It looks good to me. How does it look to you? Perhaps you are expecting more than the SD-series can give you.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah...that looks very acceptable to me. I am going to try working with the installed Canon software (instead of the Windows viewer) and see if that makes a difference. I really would love for the 890IS to "work" for me!

Rick-

I believe that you will find Picasa 2.0 which is totally free fram www.google.com a lot easier to work with on your photos. The SD-890IS should be a great camera for you.

Enjoy the weekend.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    Rick-

I believe that you will find Picasa 2.0 which is totally free fram www.google.com a lot easier to work with on your photos. The SD-890IS should be a great camera for you.

Enjoy the weekend.

Sarah Joyce
    Maybe the problem is my level of expectation. I do use Picasa and have for quite some time. But, if I find myself "sharpening" most of not all of the pictures using Picasa, is this right? I mean, I would think using Picasa to "clear up" photos should be more the exception than the rule?