Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kata W-94 Waist Pack

Hey all.
    I've been researching camera bags/backpacks for months now, I didn't want to be impulsive and end up with 418 different bags because I couldn't find the 'perfect' one(s). Finding a bag that gives me quick access, but is NOT a slingshot (not comfy for bigger boobed women, lol) or shoulder bag has been tough, but after plenty of online research I decided on the Kata W-94 Waist Pack. The waistpack looks good, is weatherproof, holds enough equipment for me (dslr w/lens, 2-3 lenses, flash, accessories), but I have not been able to try one out physically because none are available locally. So, today I'll be ordering the Kata W-94 waist pack via my camera store and look fwd to its arrival.

My question for you: does anybody use this waist pack, or has anybody tried it out? If yes, what is your experience with it? Pros/cons? Or does anybody have direct links to reviews of the Kata W-94? The only reviews I've found are one from Amazon and one from the link below, which ain't much! LOL Thanks.

http://www.cambags.com/nikon/d70/hol..._w-94_desc.htm
    C & C most welcome - no matter how harsh, as it helps me learn.

Nikon D40, Nikkor 18-55mm II, 55-200 VR, 50mm 1.8D, ML-L3 Remote.

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharond36/

Hi Sharon, the Kata range of bags really are awesome & offer excellent protection for your gear. I have the R-103 which I carry on my back very easily because of their strap design & also carry it on my motorcycle at speeds of well in excess of 120 mph & it still looks to be in top shape after 18 mths. You've chosen well in my opinion.
    Kev.

D200~
    24-70mm f2.8 , 50mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 VR.more

Thanks, Kev. It's great to hear that after 18 months of usage that your R-103 is still in top shape! All the Kata products look really well made, and reviews of various Kata products I've read online have all been excellent. And I like the double-sided elements cover, for either sun or rain.

It looks like it will be me writing a review of the W-94 waist-pack after a bit of use. lol I may eventually buy the small R-101 rucksack as well, to connect to the waist-pack for more storage space (if I ever need it). Thanks again, Kev.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I hunted and hunted for my bags. I used to use over-the-shoulder type bags (very similar to women's handbags) before I went for a backpack type. I do appreciate your problem with big boobs. I find again I am looking for something for quicker access than my backpack but less cumbersome than a sling or handbag type. I keep hearing about harness type kit but when I checked into it online, it seemed very expensive. Try looking on B&H for modular systems. Don't bother with the waistcoat type - they tend to put all the weight on your front and pull you forward. Very uncomfortable. The Kata you mention might tend to do that. This is largely why I went backpack - so much lighter and easier to carry and as the weight was behind me I wasn't pulling myself upright all the time.

Thanks for your input, Rhys! Although my boobs aren't exactly huge, the slingshot types are definitely not comfortable for me. Yes, it does seem to be tough finding a bag where you have quick access but still meets all other needs, as well. Being a Canuck, I never shop across the border in the US, we pay 12% on taxable items in B.C, so I'm not interested in paying duty too. I buy all my camera stuff locally, and have them order stuff I need if they don't carry it.

My dslr setup is pretty lightweight compared to some of you 'pros' here at dcrp, and I doubt I'll be able to afford fast heavy lenses anytime soon (I still long to play with the 70-200 though!), so the waistpack shouldn't be too heavy for me when loaded up. And if I do start to feel a bit of strain with it on the front, I can always wear it on my back. It also comes with a strap, so that one can wear it like a shoulder bag.

Rhys, have you checked out the Kata R-103 rucksack (I'm looking at the small R-101) that Kev mentioned above? It has a 'quick access' feature, which looks awesome! If you decide to go for a harness, let us know what your impressions are of it.

Thanks for your input, Rhys! Although my boobs aren't exactly huge, the slingshot types are definitely not comfortable for me. Yes, it does seem to be tough finding a bag where you have quick access but still meets all other needs, as well. Being a Canuck, I never shop across the border in the US, we pay 12% on taxable items in B.C, so I'm not interested in paying duty too. I buy all my camera stuff locally, and have them order stuff I need if they don't carry it.

My dslr setup is pretty lightweight compared to some of you 'pros' here at dcrp, and I doubt I'll be able to afford fast heavy lenses anytime soon (I still long to play with the 70-200 though!), so the waistpack shouldn't be too heavy for me when loaded up. And if I do start to feel a bit of strain with it on the front, I can always wear it on my back. It also comes with a strap, so that one can wear it like a shoulder bag.

Rhys, have you checked out the Kata R-103 rucksack (I'm looking at the small R-101) that Kev mentioned above? It has a 'quick access' feature, which looks awesome! If you decide to go for a harness system, let us know what your impressions are of it.

MODS: Can you delete this double post? Don't know how it happened, was trying to use the 'Quick Reply' thang.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post

Rhys, have you checked out the Kata R-103 rucksack (I'm looking at the small R-101) that Kev mentioned above? It has a 'quick access' feature, which looks awesome! If you decide to go for a harness, let us know what your impressions are of it.
    I have two backpacks - a small one by Tamrac and a bigger one by Canon. I've never used the Canon backpack though.

I've got two bags both from Lowepro - A Beltpack for quick access of the gear I'll most likely need, and a backpack to store everything else in. The backpack is definitely more comfortable, but it's very slow when it comes to getting things out. So I usually use them in conjunction.
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    Being a Canuck, I never shop across the border in the US, we pay 12% on taxable items in B.C, so I'm not interested in paying duty too. I buy all my camera stuff locally, and have them order stuff I need if they don't carry it.
    B&H is a great place to look to see what's available. If you find what you want at B&H then perhaps you can find it cheaper in Canada from a Canadian retailer.

Quite honestly I looked at the harness systems and thought of a needle and thread and some webbing straps, which would work out a lot cheaper. The lens pouches used to be available in the junk bins in most local camera shops when I last looked. Sadly I don't have any decent local camera shops. I just have box shifters (wolf and ritz).

Sharon, I too looked into the Kata bags, but never could find the W-94 to look at (I even went to the B&H store). I ended up with a Speed Freak from http://www.thinktankphoto.com. It is a little deeper than I wanted, but I layer a few accessories under my lenses. It easily holds my Olympus E510 and 2-3 lenses. When I use this bag I do not carry everything, only the mix I think I will need. I like that it converts to a shoulder bag and the case opens away from my body. The side pockets are great. I can fit a water bottle in one side. I usually store my few filters in Tamrac filter pouches inserted in the side pockets. They work well on the belt system too.