Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

How to mount a photo?

Ok, I'm going to use my "there are no stupid questions" exemption here:

My company is having a photo contest for employees to submit photos for inclusion in next year's company calendar.

One of the contest specifications includes this:

"photos must be securely mounted to a mounting board or matting to prevent photographs from being damaged"

I've never mounted a photo before. Where would one got to purchase a mounting board or matting? Is there a "better" choice between the two? Is mounting board self contained or is it just a board and you then need to get something(s) else to actually mount the photo to it?

Any information/tips on photo mounting for cross country mailing will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Dave--

This isn't a dumb question at all, but the answer is pretty simple.

Mounting board is what you put behind the photo. It can be made of a variety of materials. A mat is what you put on top of the photo. It has a window cut into it and while it adds a decorative effect (framing the picture), it's main purpose is to keep the photo from touching the glass when the photo is framed.

You can cut your own mats and backing, but it takes a little practice and you'd need to buy a cutter. If you're gonna do it often, it is much cheaper to do it yourself. If you only want this one done one time, take it to a frame shop. Look in the yellow pages under "Picture Framers." Keep it simple--choose a plain white acid-free mat and an inexpensive acid-free backing board. Expect to pay about $20 for an 8x10 custom cut mat, but frame shop prices vary widely.

Alternatively, even cheaper is if your photo is a standard size (4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14,) then you can buy pre-cut mat and backing board sets. Discount frame shops and art supply stores sell them. You can even buy a cheap frame with mat and backing at someplace like Target, Wallmart, or Bed Bath & Beyond and save the frame and glass for another use.

If you like, sign the mat along the bottom edge on the right. Put your name and the date. Use a pencil, and make it small and subtle.

If the framers don't have a plastic bag you can use, wrap the mounted and matted photo thoroughly in clean tissue paper. Pack in a cardboard box with lots of bubble wrap and mail it off.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Thanks, Adam!

I went to a nearby Michael's yesterday and didn't see much in the way supplies. I expect because they'd rather you use their framing service. I'll see what I can find this weekend. Good tip on the cheap frame bit. Since I'll be having the photo returned, I can put it in that frame when I get it back!

One of the best ways to mount a photo is firstly....a little soft music, a good bottle of wine, the lights down low. And dont forget your pharamone spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    One of the best ways to mount a photo is firstly....a little soft music, a good bottle of wine, the lights down low. And dont forget your pharamone spray.
    Pharamone won't work on you ya old barstard!!!! Try prostaglandin!!!
    Last edited by T06; 04-19-2008 at 01:46 PM.
    Kev.

D200~
    24-70mm f2.8 , 50mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 VR.more

Hey TO6 we are talking about mounting photos here NOT SHEEP.

Hey TO6 we are talking about mounting photos here NOT SHEEP.
    Ha ha, lmao at that one, think of that the next time you're tucking into some prime lmb then.
    Kev.

D200~
    24-70mm f2.8 , 50mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 VR.more

Wow.

You're really into your pictures.....

*cough*