Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Diana-

We have gone full circle now on this camera selection problem. If you can keep your ISO setting at ISO 200 and below, then I think that the Canon S-5 offers the greatest number of your specified features. BTW I already posted a great S-5 night photo for you.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Cameras with 10x-14x zoom and RAW
    Cameras with 15x+ zoom and RAW

As you can see, there are a total of 7 models to choose from. Two of them (the Lecia and the Casio) are in the $1000 range. If you eliminate those, you have 5 models to choose from, with two of them being slightly different versions of the Olympus ultrazoom.

In general, a larger sensor size means less noise, but it's not an absolute measure. Of your choices, only the Panasonic FZ-50 has a slightly larger CCD then the rest.
    The new Fuji S100FS does RAW, with 11 Mpixels on a larger 2/3" Super CCD sensor, optical image stabilisation and a 28-400mm equiv zoom, but it's currently slightly over the OPs budget. See press release here.

There's a detailed dicussion of sensor sizes on DPreview here.
    Last edited by AlexMonro; 04-08-2008 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    Diana-

We have gone full circle now on this camera selection problem. If you can keep your ISO setting at ISO 200 and below, then I think that the Canon S-5 offers the greatest number of your specified features. BTW I already posted a great S-5 night photo for you.

Sarah Joyce
    And I really appriciate this! Thank you one more time. I know that we have gone full circle but I just want to have good camera with which I can take good outdoor and night pictures. And I am just asking some questions that I really don't understand much and if I have the answers for them than I will know with which features I can make compromis.
    Don't cry when the sun goes down, the tears won't let you to enjoy the beauty of the stars...

We all want the perfect camera. However, unless you're willing to spend the money for a good DSLR, the perfect camera does not exist (and even DSLR's are not perfect).
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS
    Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries

I don't want the perfect camera I just want something that will give me good image quality at low light as at daytime also, but not a compact camera. I am asking here because I think that you know much more than I do about photography and cameras. I want to understand what is not clear for me. And that's why I am asking the same questions in different ways So I guess I wrote in wrong way. I shouldn't ask "What camera to choose?" but to ask what is not clear for me. So if you let me I would ask you, the people who know, few questions. I will try to be as clear as my English lets me
    1. I still cannot understand for the sensor size and the connection with megapixels and IQ. If somebody can explain me...
    2. If there is noise when shooting at ISO higher than 200 can this be compensate with shooting at low ISO and longer exposure?

For now that's it... Later probably I will have more question.

Thank you to all of you that answer me here. And sorry if I am too annoying but I just want to learn more and if I don't ask people who know than who?

Best regards
    Don't cry when the sun goes down, the tears won't let you to enjoy the beauty of the stars...

Quote Originally Posted by Diana_84 View Post
    I don't want the perfect camera I just want something that will give me good image quality at low light as at daytime also, but not a compact camera.
    The only way you can do that today is to buy a DSLR. Nothing but a DSLR will give you what you want, which is very good high ISO performance.

1. I still cannot understand for the sensor size and the connection with megapixels and IQ. If somebody can explain me...
    Larger sensors in general produce images with less noise. This is amplified in low light/high ISO conditions. But there is a large gap between any ultrazoom or compact versus a DSLR. The differences between models of ultrazoom are minor compared to the differences between a any of them and any DSLR.
    2. If there is noise when shooting at ISO higher than 200 can this be compensate with shooting at low ISO and longer exposure?
    Only to a small degree. You also get noise with longer exposures. And of course it won't work on moving subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    The only way you can do that today is to buy a DSLR. Nothing but a DSLR will give you what you want, which is very good high ISO performance.
    I know But I don't feel that I would be comfortable with a DSLR now... And deffinatly I won't buy different lenses for a DSLR... That is why I decided to get something between the compact camera and a DSLR.

Larger sensors in general produce images with less noise. This is amplified in low light/high ISO conditions. But there is a large gap between any ultrazoom or compact versus a DSLR. The differences between models of ultrazoom are minor compared to the differences between a any of them and any DSLR.
    Ok. I think I got it now But can you tell me for a SLR-like camera what combination sensor-megapixels will be good enough?

And one more question... Can you tell me with which features I can make compromis? I said what I want a camera for and also now I have Sony DSC - P200 which has 1/1.8 sensor and is 7,2 megapixels... but it's a compact camera

Quote Originally Posted by Diana_84 View Post
    Ok. I think I got it now But can you tell me for a SLR-like camera what combination sensor-megapixels will be good enough?
    My advice is to ignore sensor size and MP. What is important is image quality. Look at the samples and decide if they are good enough for you. If you are looking for excellent low light high ISO image quality none of them will be good enough. The one exception might be the Fuji S6000 which is getting harder to find.

IMO, all of them are pretty good cameras. None will do very well in really low light, you'll need to use a flash or put up with the noise. Personally, if I had your requirements I'd get the S5 and an external flash.

The S-5 + External Flash

David-

This thread is possibly becoming circular. Earlier in the the thread I suggested a Canon S-5 and the EX-430 Flash. It is a great combination.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    David-

This thread is possibly becoming circular. Earlier in the the thread I suggested a Canon S-5 and the EX-430 Flash. It is a great combination.

Sarah Joyce
    Thank you, Sarah. I really appriciate that you answer me. It is good for me to have opinions from people that really knows about cameras and photography at all.

Probably I will go with the Canon S - 5. But does this mean that we have to stop writing here?! As I said I don't understand much and I want to learn. That's why I keep asking questions. If this annoys you just tell me... I think it's better to ask my questions here than to start a new thread for every different question I have...