Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Diana-

A lot of what you want can be obtained for less than you think. The Kodak Z-712 for example has 12X optical zoom, IS, full manual controls, and it can use ISO 400 quite well for small size prints. Our owner/webmaster, Jeff Keller, on this website gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

It is currently selling for $(US) 200.00 to 215.00. Let's make the Kodak Z-712, our base camera. If you want a hot shoe, and a rotating LCD scree, then the Canon S-5 is also a good choice, and Jeff has also written a complete review on the S-5, as well.

So as you can see, when we begin adding megapixels, features, or more zoom, the price gloes up. Take a look at the Kodak Z-712 and then tell us what more you would like to have on your ideal camera.

Sarah Joyce

Here is a Canon S-5 night shot.

Here is a Kodak Z-712 photo taken at ISO 800.

The Fuji S9100 has RAW format capability, but it's a large camera.
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS
    Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    Diana-

A lot of what you want can be obtained for less than you think. The Kodak Z-712 for example has 12X optical zoom, IS, full manual controls, and it can use ISO 400 quite well for small size prints. Our owner/webmaster, Jeff Keller, on this website gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

It is currently selling for $(US) 200.00 to 215.00. Let's make the Kodak Z-712, our base camera. If you want a hot shoe, and a rotating LCD scree, then the Canon S-5 is also a good choice, and Jeff has also written a complete review on the S-5, as well.

So as you can see, when we begin adding megapixels, features, or more zoom, the price gloes up. Take a look at the Kodak Z-712 and then tell us what more you would like to have on your ideal camera.

Sarah Joyce
    Thanks a lot. I checked Kodak Z - 712, but still it's not all I want. In the last resort I will make some compromise with the features and in that case Kodak Z - 712 will be one of the choices But now let me tell you what's my ideal camera

Format - SLR-like
    Optical Zoom - it will be great if I can get 10x or more
    Aperture priority and Shutter priority
    Manual controls
    Image stabilization
    Megapixels - at least 7,2 (and here I would like to ask a question - what sensor size is best and does it depends on megapixels?)
    Macro focus range - I'm going to take macro pictures so I would like to be if possible about 1-5 cm
    Manual focus (if possible)
    RAW (if possible)
    Rotating display (if possible)
    External flash (if possible)

I know that I want too much for non - DSLR camera, but I am just an amateur who loves to take pictures and who wants to improve
    Don't cry when the sun goes down, the tears won't let you to enjoy the beauty of the stars...

There are only so many SLR-like cameras available. You've been given the names of almost all of them.

You might try consulting this.
    http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/...nputSummary.do
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS

I will check it right away... But can somebody explain me more about sensor size and megapixels? A friend of mine told me to look for sensor size 1/1.8, 1/1.7 or 2/3...
    Don't cry when the sun goes down, the tears won't let you to enjoy the beauty of the stars...

Cameras with 10x-14x zoom and RAW
    Cameras with 15x+ zoom and RAW

As you can see, there are a total of 7 models to choose from. Two of them (the Lecia and the Casio) are in the $1000 range. If you eliminate those, you have 5 models to choose from, with two of them being slightly different versions of the Olympus ultrazoom.

In general, a larger sensor size means less noise, but it's not an absolute measure. Of your choices, only the Panasonic FZ-50 has a slightly larger CCD then the rest.

I was thinking of Panasonic FZ50... It fits my desires and also I like it how it looks But how it deals with shooting at high ISO?

Diana-

The Panasonic FZ-50 is an excellent outdoor camera. However, it does not do well at any elevated ISO settings. It does have hot shoe that will work with the Olympus FL-50 flash.

You might want to look at the Canon G-9 which does offer RAW but ISO 400 is about as high as you can press the G-9

I am sorry to say that your specification of a long zoom camer, with RAW and high ISO capabilities is a very hard bill to fill.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    Diana-

The Panasonic FZ-50 is an excellent outdoor camera. However, it does not do well at any elevated ISO settings. It does have hot shoe that will work with the Olympus FL-50 flash.

You might want to look at the Canon G-9 which does offer RAW but ISO 400 is about as high as you can press the G-9

I am sorry to say that your specification of a long zoom camer, with RAW and high ISO capabilities is a very hard bill to fill.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks again
    Somehow I don't like very much Canon G9. I had a look at it and there is something that I don't like. I cannot explain what I like the size and the appearance of Panasonic FZ50 but it's the noise that bothers me I am not sure if I will take lots of pictures at ISO higher than 400, even higher than 200. Probably for night shots I will try with low ISO and long exposure...
    And what do you think about Sony DSC - H9( or any of the H series)?

Check out Jeff's review of the Sony DSC H9 (which would apply equally well to the H7)- a mixed bag.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_h9-review/
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS