Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What camera to choose?

Hello I am new in this forum and I need a little help for choosing a new camera First I want to apologize for my English
    I have few months to the time I will buy the new camera but I want to get as many recommendations as possible So let me tell you what I am looking for

Budget
    * What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    About $500-$600 or less
    Size
    * What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Middle size, so I can put it in middle size hand bag... I held Panasonic FZ50 and it's good like a size, but not bigger.
    Features
    How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    I would go for 7,2 - 10
    * What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)
    I prefer ultrazoom, but probably I will be ok with standart also
    * How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    Let's say 9 - 10
    Do you care for manual controls?
    Yes, I want manual controls
    General Usage
    * What will you generally use the camera for?
    Nature, night pictures, vacations, macro, street, parties... and more
    * Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Rarely.
    Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Cannot say "a lot of" but frequently
    Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    From time to time
    Miscellaneous
    Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    I like Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Olympus
    Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    No
    (If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Image Stabilization, Rotating LCD but it is not so important

Thank you in advance to all that will help me And sorry for the long post
    Don't cry when the sun goes down, the tears won't let you to enjoy the beauty of the stars...

Here are some cameras with manual controls and image stabilization that may meet your needs:
    Smaller cameras
    Fuji F50fd (standard zoom, good in low light)
    Canon A570IS (4x zoom), A590IS (4x zoom), A720IS (6x zoom)

These cameras are a little larger than the above:
    Canon G9 (6x zoom), Canon A650IS (6x zoom, swivel LCD), Canon SX100 (10x zoom), Sony H3 (10x zoom)

These are like small SLR's
    Canon S5IS (12 zoom, swivel LCD), Kodak Z712 (12x zoom), z812 (12 zoom), Panasonic FZ8 (12x zoom), FZ18 (18x zoom), Sony H7, H9 (15x zoom), Fuji S8000 (18x zoom), Olympus SP560uz (18x zoom).
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS
    Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries

Thanks...

I cannot say that I am looking for compact camera so...
    Don't cry when the sun goes down, the tears won't let you to enjoy the beauty of the stars...

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Diana_84 View Post
    Thanks...

I cannot say that I am looking for compact camera so...
    ??? I don't understand what you're trying to say.
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS

I mean that I don't want ulrta-compact or compact camera, because right now I have Sony DSC - P200. I want something a little bit bigger. I want to be at least 7,2 megapixels, manual controls(like aperture priority, shutter priority, manual focus, etc.), if possible ultra zoom, image stabilization, RAW format. Also I would like to be able to shoot at high ISO (as 400 for example) and to have less noise.
    Thanks in advance for the answers.

The only non-SLR cameras I know that have manual controls and shoot RAW format are the Canon G9, Panasonic FZ18 and the Olympus SP560uz or SP570UZ.
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS

Thanks. I was looking at Panasonic FZ18 and FZ50 but as I know shooting at higher ISO (such as 400) it has too much noise. And I like taking night shots...

Your Ideal Camera

Diana-

You have some fairly stringent features that you desire. Really for what you want, I would suggest a consumer level DSLR camera, such as the Nikon D-80 the Canon XTi, or the Sony A-200.

However long zoom lenses for a DSLR camera become quite expensive.

Sarah Joyce
    Last edited by speaklightly; 04-07-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Well, I know that it would be really hard to find exactly what I want so I am ready to make some compromises with some features but NOT with image quality. Somehow I don't feel ready for DSLR with exchangeable lenses. I am just an amateur and I take pictures for myself. I don't think that I would give money for different lenses... But who knows? For now I just want something SLR-like for not more than $500-$600 and to have as much as possible from the features I want