Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Nikon Coolpix S520

Hello Everyone.

I'am currently looking for an ultra compact digital camera and have been doing some amateur research the past 2 weeks.

So far I feel somewhat pulled to the Nikon Coolpix series. Am basically looking for an all round camera for quick and fast snapshots, and even if I'm not expert I do hope to get a camera that delivers some quality pictures.

Particularly this thread is regarding the relatively new Nikon Coolpix S520. So far I havent been able to find a single viable review of this camera, so I was hoping maybe someone here could give me their opinion on it or direct me to a review they know of.

Other than that, I would also appreciate any recommendations, so here are my "requirements":

Budget
    Somewhere between 200$ and 300$, preferably around 200.

Size
    Only interested in ultra compact fit-into-my-pocket sized cameras.

Features
    Basically 7megapixels is enough, but I am feeling a certain urge to make sure it has an optical image stabilizer. Makes sense for an snapshot camera?

* What optical zoom will you need?
    3x zoom is quite enough, more is just a bonus.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    Simply put, 8.

Do you care for manual controls?
    My first digital camera, don't know much about this so can't say it's a requirement but I do like control...

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    Snapshots, when out with friends. Evening or night shots will probably occur, and definitely holiday photos.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    No, just "standard" sized photos.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Not alot, but it will happen.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    No.

Miscellaneous
    What I'm mostly after is good image quality, fast speed (both startup and shot-to-shot) and an optic image stabilizer. I would also like to be able to record some decent movies with it.

I will be having a look at previously mentioned coolpix s520 tomorrow, but even if I like it I feel reluctant to buying it without having read any reviews :/

I would also very much like some input on Nikon Coolpix S510, cus this camera is right now being sold out pretty cheap in my area (around 180$), and I like it alot but I've read it doesn't take too good pictures in low-light conditions, and the scroll wheel seems a bit fragile to me.

Thanks for any and all help.

// Andreas

Andreas-

As you mentioned the Nikon S-520 is so new there is no professional review available. However, just a bit of forewarning, the recent Nikon digicams have not knocked anyones socks off. They have all been average or below.

You might be better served to take a look at the Canon SD-850, the Canon A-590, or the Canon A-720. Jeff has reviewed every one of those camera right on this website and they have received excellent reviews.

Sarah Joyce

Nikon is on my shopping list as well. So I'm waiting on those reviews too. Though the S520 is not one of the models of interest to me. Right now the dealers seem to be holding the price on the S520 very near MSRP. Which leaves it at a SERIOUS disadvantage. As about the same $$ will get you a Canon SD850, Panasonic TZ3, or Sony W130. All with more zoom than the S520. If/when the shops drop the S520 price under the $200 mark it will become a little more attractive buy. Or just save a bundle and get Nikon's little L18 instead. That one is on my shopping list, simply as a bang-for-the-buck backup.

Kelly Cook

Thanks for the input guys.

I have also had this impression when reading reviews speaklightly, that their cameras have been just about average. The main reason though that I feel drawn to them is that I kinda favourite how the buttons/menus work and their size.

I have looked into the Ixus 80 aswell, I believe it's called Powershot SD1100 IS in the US? This seems like a nice camera, and for some unexaplainable reason, feels like a more quality choice to me....

The SD 85 isnt quite what im looking for in terms of size though. Same goes for the A720, I am really just interested in the ultracompact ones right now. But I appreciate the suggestions though!

Kcook, which model from Nikon are u currently looking into then? The S600 maybe? This one really drew my attention with the big LCD and fast speeds... Unfortunately I dont tihnk I will want to put that much money on the camera, just feels too risky to spend that much on my first digicam.

Any input on the S520? This one seems pretty solid to me right now, and very priceworthy indeed... My biggest reservation is the scrollwheel, it seems nice at first but I am afraid it might feel "sluggish" or "amateurish" in the long run.

Any input on the Canon IXUS 80? (Powershot SD1100) ?

Thanks for the input.

// Andreas

Yes, the 28mm WA, 230k px LCD, multiple "stabilization" modes, and classy design have put the S600 on my shopping list. But at this point it's no sure thing, lots of serious competition at that price level. Also like the 5X zoom, viewfinder, and price on the new Nikon P60.

I'm sure the Canon SD1100 does a good job. But with so many other choices at that $$ level with more zoom, or at least a wider angle, I'm just not able to work up any enthusiasm for it. Then again, I don't require a super thin case. If need be, I can live with the more robust form factor of a Canon A720 or Nikon P60.

This next purchase will not be my first digital camera. For a beginner I would say shoot low, buy the cheaper camera. Learn cheap. Replace next year with the camera you have learned you really want. Different strokes for different folks.

Kelly