Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

lesliebs Guest

Which camera would you recommend?

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. $200-350

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Compact. Would like to keep in purse.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify) Standard

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 7-8

Do you care for manual controls? No
    General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Taking pictures of kids

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? no. Mainly 4x6. Maybe 5 x7

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes. A lot of pictures are inside the house.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? YES. The kids are constantly moving. Need the camera to be fast enough to take the pic before they run away.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? No.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Thinking about Canon PowerShot SD850 IS Digital ELPH or maybe SD870

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) Not sure.

Thanks for any advice!!

Leslie-

I own the Canon SD-850IS and like it very much. It is very small, and goes in my purse easily. However, I recently had the opportunity to use a Sony H-3, which is not as small as the SD-850, but does have 10X optical zoom, a flash range that can reach out easily to 20 feet, and it is one of the best cameras in the automatic mode, that I have used.

I particularly liked being able to stand back 15 to 20 feet while the grand children were interacting with either each other or another adult and being able to capture the scene very nicely. Here is a photo sample taken when I was 18 feet away. I think that the flash exposure is excellent, and by being that far back I was not intruding on the action, and the grandchildren were not "posing" because they knew I was going to take a photo.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah brings up a good point about flash range. Dunno how their flash compares, but some test sites show the more expensive Sony W-series cameras as being faster than the Canon SD-series. Also Nikon is claiming to have made major speed improvements in their newest designs. But these have not been tested yet, and the old ones were really, really slooowww. When in doubt pick one up in the store and give it a try. Always fun blinding the sales staff with flash!

Kelly Cook

Kelly-

It is just a personal opinion, but to me flash range becomes rather important because it allows me to stand back out of the action, and by using zoom I can get very good, close-in candid images of the grandchildren without them posing or a few who choose to make horrible facial expressions. The H-3 uses a proprietary battery, so it also has a very fast flash recycle time. We have 15 grandchildren you see.

So I was pleasantly amazed by the flash and zoom performance of the Sony H-3 (selling at $(US) 200.00). I know, it is a rather specialized camera application, but lots of Moms have this problem.

The H-3 also does very well on other camera applications as well. Here is a no flash, higher ISO shot done indoors this afternoon in our great room of my ever co-operative husband.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by speaklightly; 04-09-2008 at 03:36 PM.