Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

taterhead07 Guest

1st XTI Pix, What do you think?

Just recently bought an Cannon XTI and took my first pictures. Not sure if I am on the right track but still learning. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You're on the right track
    Using AV mode is a good choice for flowers. Your f/6.5 aperture gave you a small depth of field, so that not much of the flower is in focus. You can use the aperture for artistic effect -- if you want more of the flower to be in focus, use a smaller aperture, (which is a bigger number. f/11 is a smaller aperture than f/6.5.)

You did a good job on the exposure, you can still see detail in the whites, which is often hard to do. The purple and green edges on the petals are what is known as "chromatic abberation," and results from high-contrast scenes. I don't know how to reduce this in-camera, but some post-processing programs, such as Photoshop or Elements, can remove the chromatic abberation in the image.

Your focal length of 190 mm with a shutter speed of 1/400 sec. and ISO 100 looks like a good choice for this scene -- although there seems to be some additional blur in the photo. Was the wind blowing? Or were you having a hard time holding the camera still? Normally those settings would yield a photo that was sharp in the area that was focused on. The aperture would create gradual blur in the rest of the photo.

A good rule of thumb is that you can handhold the camera when taking shots with a shutter speed of 1/(focal length). So for example, you could handhold a shot at 300 mm at 1/300 sec. If you wanted to use a longer shutter speed, such as 1/125 sec., you wouldn't be able to handhold it (unless you wanted to raise the ISO,) meaning that you'd need to use a tripod, a table, or something else to support the camera so that you wouldn't get "camera shake" from your hands wobbling. **However. Our digital cameras have a "crop factor" due to their smaller sensors than 35mm cameras. The crop factor of the XTi is 1.6. That means that to use this rule of thumb, you have to multiply the focal length by 1.6. So in reality, you would need to use a shutter speed of 1/480 to be able to handhold at 300mm.

But as you can see, you did a good job with those settings of 190mm at 1/400 sec. You even had room to spare

I've given you a lot of technical stuff. A lot of people aren't interested in technical stuff, they're more about the "message" or feel of a shot. If you're one of those people, sorry I'm all out of that today! lol Good job, keep it up!
    Last edited by toriaj; 03-29-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr