Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Olympus Evolt E-410

I have been contemplating buying the Olympus E-410. I bought the Kodak EasyShare Z712 IS last summer, when I realized I was interested in photography as a hobby. Will I notice much of an improvement with the E-410? I am mostly interested in taking photos of people (friends, family, etc) when they are not posing for the camera. Ergo, fast shutter speed and being able to take multiple pictures quickly in sequence are important to me.

Thank you in advance.

I own the Olympus E-410, several lenses, and the Olympus FL-50 Flash, so I want to assure that I am making this post based on a lot of hands on experience. I was stupid to purchase this camera, the lenses, and the flash! It truly was a sizable expense!

The E-410 takes photos that are no better than my Sony H-3 camera that cost just $(US) 230.00, so as you might assume, I am really disappointed. My advice is to really re-think your camera desires. Getting a DSLR camera is certainly not an all in one answer to your photo IQ wishes. I had some real problems especially with getting the correct White Balance.

It is, of course, entirely your decision. I am just sharing with you my experience.

Sarah Joyce
    Last edited by speaklightly; 03-27-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Are you kidding?

You'll see a huge improvement! The E-410 is a very nice camera, far superior to any point and shoot. I just posted a dozen images a few minutes ago that were far above anything my Canon A710 IS could have done, and that is a nice camera. It is *excellent* for taking pictures of people who are not posing, especially with the 40-150 mm lens, because they don't know you can zoom so far in with such a small lens. I posted two examples within the last half hour, automatic WB all the way. It does help to use manual controls, fortunately I am a fast learner. But it works ok in automatic too.

Photographic proof here:
    First walk with E-410, critique me too

The camera is so much fun to use for the sound and feel of the mechanical shutter alone that you won't go back to the -beep- of a P&S. I almost don't even care if the pictures come out right as long as I get to have the shutter go off. Get the two kit lenses + body as a GREAT deal right now ($500 for mine) and a 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 lens.

Don't even kid about the H-3, it is not as good as even an A710IS.

Thank you to you both.

I am a little confused, though.

raven15, I do not have the money right now to afford the E-410 with a 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 lens. Do you still think it is worth it?

i think u should give it a try

sounds like u understand that better pics r out there. first, buy a book for your camera (or camera u r seriously considering buying). magic lantern or whatever. i also bought a book called dslr photography for dummies. and i am a dummy. but it has explained alot of things in general that apply to all cameras. (dslr)
    read all u can online, google search "olympus evolt 410 reviews" and read all u can find. check as many forums as u can and get the "pulse" of 410 owners.
    also, amazon.com. most products there have have plenty of owner opinions.
    i dont particularly pay any attention to a bad review, but what percentage of bad reviews a particular product has.
    lastly, i bought a nikon d40x about a month ago. i was tired of the point and shoot i had taking overxposed flash photos, taking forever to focus and then expose and missing too many pics of grandchildren i dont get lot of time with.
    i also wanted to shoot portraits the few times a year all my children and grandchildren get together. and of course trying to be artsy, contemplative, insightful and take pictures that convey a thought or circumstance is a lot fun too. as well as nature and sight seeing.
    the biggest thing to learn about a dslr is understanding the f stops and shutter speed. when u learn the effect of those 2 items u can begin to spread your wings and fly.
    dslrs really can "snap" pics a lot faster then p&s cams. u just have to read the manuals and set up certain features (like focus modes, focus area, and metering) so the camera will perform at optimum for what u r trying to achieve.
    one more thought. actually 2 words. image stabilization. or optical stabilization. or a few other trade names by different mfgrs.
    i think many of the old heads around here (said with respect) would tell u not to bother with it if u r using mostly short lenses. but from my experience and being the novice i am, u will reap faster satisfaction with your photos with the stabilization.
    my camera uses lenses with stabilization in the lenses. some other mfgrs are leaning this way. a few mfgrs are putting the feature "in body" just use any lense that fits your camera. oly is going in body. the 410 does not have it.
    but the 510 does. i really looked hard at the 510. there some great deals out there on the 510.
    my advice would be a 510 w/1-2 kit lenses. start to learn your camera. figure out what it will and wont do to your satisfaction. find out why it has certain problems doing certain things. then if u narrow that down to a lense issue u can make an informed decision on what lense would accomplish your goal.
    hope this has not been too confusing. good luck. if u do go dslr i am sure will entirely enjoy the journey.
    donnie
    nikon d40x
    18-55 f3.5-5.6 vr
    55-200 f4-5.6 vr
    70-300 f4.5-5.6 vr
    50 mm f1.8 nikkor
    startin to get a collection of filters and hoods!!
    sb-600

Wow Sarah thats a pretty daming post for the E410 & Oly in general. As someone who was contemplating a move from a Panasonic FZ20 to an E510 would you care to give me some more insite into your experiences with the E410 & Oly in general. The last thing I want to do is "step up" to a dslr & regret it.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    The E-410 takes photos that are no better than my Sony H-3 camera that cost just $(US) 230.00, so as you might assume, I am really disappointed.
    You should be the one taking the photos. Your camera should just be along for the ride.

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/olympuse410_samples/
    Ouch.

I have been a long time Olympus user and have generally liked Olympus a lot. However, this past summer, a friend of mind was having some problems with his E-410 and asked if I would take a look at it.

I was about to leave on a month long contract and took the E-410 with me along with the FL-50 flash, plus the 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses. Perhaps it was that prticular copy but that E-410 has a devil of a time with both focus and white balance. Add those two complications, to the "workarounds" required to get both the E-410 and E-510 (please see www.dpreview.com's review of the E-510) and it became a frustrating camera.

I don't see many postings on the E-410 nor photo samples, in fact Raven's photos were among the few that I have seen. So, let me just say this: perhaps, and most likely, the problem was with the copy I was using, but I was not overly impressed by my experience.

No, I am not finding fault with Olympus as a company. The acquisition by Hoya has been tough on them. I hope that that struggle is not being reflected in their products. It probably is not, and I just had a bad sample to work with, that is all. I just feel as, CDI posted, that the camera should be an almost invisible interface between the photographer and the scene. Which mean that you shoud expect the camera to function well.

Sarah Joyce
    Last edited by speaklightly; 03-29-2008 at 09:54 AM.

This Olympus E-410 Wors Well!

After seriously question myself about being "closed minded" and not giving the Olympus E-410 an even shake. I went down this morning to visit our local camera store who happens to be an authorized Olympus dealer.

I explained my qualms about the E-410 and asked if he was pleased with the IQ of the E-410 and E-510. His answer was, there had been no real IQ issues with either camera. Well, it was time for me to be open minded too.

So, I have an E-410 to use for 30 days and to determine if I will purchase the E-410 or the E-510. I have given him a lot of buiness and he has always been very co-operative.

So here is my first photo from the E-410. It is nothing fantastic, but it does clearly show that this E-410 does indeed work well. And it was time for me to let go of the impression I had about the E-410 from my experience last summer.

So a tip of the hat to Raven, for making his point. As I go on experimenting with the E-410, I will post more photos.

Sarah Joyce

Maybe the first E-410 was going through a bitter divorce, and hated women as a result.
    Ouch.