Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Angry

I have a Canon A70. I'm not sure how old it is, but I'm guessing we've had it for around 2 years. Yesterday, for the third time, the lens got stuck and it gave the E18 error. This time, I tried everything I've read that could solve the problem except taking the camera apart. It still won't work. I didn't purchase an extended warranty. I guess I'll have to take it apart.

aheart Guest

Add the A400 to the List

I ordered my A400 in a bundle with the PIXMA iP3000 printer online a week ago. They were packaged together in a bundle box when the arrived Tuesday or Wednesday. By yestereday, Saturday, the lens was stuck in the extended position and we've had nothing but the E18 error. Haven't even had time to send in the registration card - and wasn't able to take egg hunt pictures today. Pretty frustrating, and it's going to really tick me off to even have to pay return postage. After reading the postings above, I'm wondering if I want to stay on this Canon route...

leile Guest

s500 error e18

hi- i have a 6 month old s500 and just encountered the e18 error.. absolutely annoying!.. did anyone encounter the same on a s500 and what can you recommend i should do? love the camera and its features but really dont wanna spend a few hundred bucks getting it repaired

Thumbs down +1 to count of the E18 error on A70

Sounds like there are several people out there like me...

Found this thread while searching the web after getting the E18 error on my A70. Had it about 14 months, I still have to check the warrantee. It had been sitting around for a while, batteries were maybe getting low. Turned it on, then when I turned it off and it wouldn't retract fully, and then showed the E18 error. Sounds like a real design flaw by Canon to me!

So what are the totals now?
    Last edited by gjordan; 03-28-2005 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarification

Jmanrep Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gjordan
    Sounds like there are several people out there like me...

Found this thread while searching the web after getting the E18 error on my A70. Had it about 14 months, I still have to check the warrantee. It had been sitting around for a while, batteries were maybe getting low. Turned it on, then when I turned it off and it wouldn't retract fully, and then showed the E18 error. Sounds like a real design flaw by Canon to me!

So what are the totals now?

I have the S110, A70, and G6 with NO problems, none.

I asked a friend who works in a camera shop and sells/repairs a lot of cameras (canon, nikon, konica-minolta, etc.) he said most of the cameras that come in for repair are NOT canon and that the E18 error is not common at all. In fact, he was very suprised to hear about this thread.

sh28204 Guest

Exclamation SD500 with E18

Received my Canon SD500 last Friday, and was very pleased with it. Took about 150 pictures and movies with it, testing out the different functions. Great pictures! However, after about 5 hours of use, when turning off the camera (I had turned it off and on maybe 10 times before this happened), the lens would not retract, and the E18 error showed up in the display. Tried leaving the battery out for more than 5 hours, still the lens won't retract (the E18 doesn't show up anymore though), and the camera is unusable.

Sent it back to the store today, and will receive a replacement in a few days, so all is good there, but it doesn't exactly leave me with much confidence with these cameras, since they have not fixed this problem even with their latest generation ELPH/IXUS cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmanrep
    I have the S110, A70, and G6 with NO problems, none.
    The G6 seems immune from this problem. I have yet to hear this on G6. I haven't heard about this error on A95 either.

I have own three different canon digicams and none of them has the E18. My friend has one for 3years no E18. Most of the people who posted had E18 because thats what the thread ask for. They actually reperesent a very small percent of all canon users that visit this site.

E18 isnt a strange malicious disease thats hidden in every canon waiting to pop out. The message actually means theres an obstruction preventing lens from extending or retracting as it should. I was once at a shop and the salesperson tried to show me some teleconverters on an A80. He had the wrong adapter ring on(too short) and the lens hit the teleconverter giving an E18 message. He shut it off and on and the camera functions normal again. Sand and particles getting into the mechanism may cause a permanent E18 message. I have been told by a local canon engineer this is usually very easy to fix by and should not return again at least if your camera are in the right hands. Hope this makes you more comfortable about getting a canon.

Quote Originally Posted by zero
    The G6 seems immune from this problem. I have yet to hear this on G6. I haven't heard about this error on A95 either.
    I don't think any of the G Series has this problem. This seems to be mostly a problem with the A series and ultracompact Sxxx series.

Spore Guest

E18 error on ixus 400

Register here just to complain my own E18 error. Got my ixus 400 in December 2003, means that I've got my camera for 15 mths, that is 3 months post warranty. No gripes about the camera except for the slow start up, slow focusing and last minute battery indicator. E18 error just happened after my Thailand trip, thankfully. I carry my camera all over the place within a padded bag. No banging and dropping before. I use it twice on a beach - didn't drop it onto the sand. Tried to power up in the camera mode but the lens refuse to advance fully, then the E18 error appears at the lower left corner of the screen, afterwhich it promptly shuts down. No problem in the playback mode. I've seen the website which suggests taking down the camera and fixing it - doesn't seem easy though. Thought E18 error was peculiar to me until I googled it. If I need to pay a premium to buy Canon cameras, this problem shouldn't exist. In any case, this will be my first and last Canon.