Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    That's very unfortunate. It just spontaneously died? Canon's cameras almost never do that. I would say you just got unlucky, but I really don't know. The symptoms resemble those when you drop the camera, but since you say you haven't....

Always supply a budget, intended purpose, etc. when asking for camera recommmendations. You'll be missing lot a lot by scratching out Canon from your list of choices, especially if you're looking at a similar replacement at the $200 price range.
    Last edited by Rex914; 01-31-2005 at 08:45 PM.

mine did too

We got the A60 a year ago, after about a week the E18 appeared, the lens won't retract, I tried removing the camera etc.. to no avail, then I read somewhere that somebody tried gently tapping the camera on the palm of his hands and I tried it and it worked, the lens retracted and have been using it since, I guess some sand was caught in the side of the lens that cause it to stuck, when we tried tapping it - the sand might got loosen and the lens eventually retracted.

I now have SD300 and there was no problem of an E18 so far (2 months now)

Ching

Blaine23 Guest

Count me in the E18 camp

I bought an A60 about two years ago. After having and treating it very well for around 14 months of very light usage, I took it with me to Yellowstone. Again, I'd never, ever had a problem with the camera and was really pleased with it.

I went on a trail walk to see some geysers and took the A60 with me in it's case inside my bookbag. Once I was there, I took it out and took some pictures of nature, relatives, etc. I knew it was low (almost dead) on batteries, so I snapped my pics then depressed the ON/OFF button.

It goes through the shutdown motions and then just stops and beeps at me. Next I see "E18" on the screen. Puzzled, I tried again and got the same results. I took it back to the car, replaced the batteries and had the same problem. So, I had to put the camera away for the rest of the trip (which I now don't have pics of - thanks Canon!).

When I returned, I searched the web and found many, many different people with the E18 error. I called Canon and they said I was out of warranty (which was totally true). I asked if they knew why this happened and I was told that it often happens when you Power Off the camera with a very low battery.

Needless to say I tried everything and finally got the lens to push back in all the way with a little force. I did try the gentle palm tap which did nothing. It worked for about a week then came back with the E18 error.

Never once was this camera anywhere near the beach, or sand, or in the dirt, or not properly cared for. Never once did I jar or drop or beat up on the camera. It's a pure design error on Canon's part. If the battery dies while the lens is retracting it gives you the error and leaves the lens sticking out. Once the camera has more power, it can't fix itself.

I'll never buy another Canon with a retractable lens again. Not after my experience and reading countless others. In fact, I find it a bit odd that you guys would doubt such a widely documented problem. I mean, if it didn't happen, then there wouldn't be so many people complaining about it, would there?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine23
    I'll never buy another Canon with a retractable lens again. Not after my experience and reading countless others. In fact, I find it a bit odd that you guys would doubt such a widely documented problem. I mean, if it didn't happen, then there wouldn't be so many people complaining about it, would there?
    Many thanks for your input.

I certainly can understand your reluctance toward certain Canon cameras. The reason I started this thread was because "real" documented failures have been somewhat hard to come by. We heard a lot of 3rd and 4th hand accounts (one even claiming a E18 error on a DReb) but very few "real" cases of this failure mode.

So far it appears that the majority of negative responses to this thread involve the A60. Although we have an A85, Digital Ixus IIs, and A70 represented as well. so this is pretty inclusive of the telescoping zoom lenses Canon offers.

So my conclusion at this point is that there may actually be a general problem with the lens extention mechanism used by Canon. It's just really weird that with all of the all-in-one Canons owned by people I know, none has failed (yet). Or maybe it's just luck.

In conclusion:

Believe it or not, for reasons known only to those who do such things, we see many unfounded biases (and even grudges) against camera A vs. camera B. And what better way to promote those biases than spreading rumor and inuendo, especially on the internet. The perfect vehicle for H&D.

If this is as wide-spread as it appears, then some enterprising lawyer is missing an opportunity for class action litigation.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Not a Rumor that E18 errors happen too much!

This is not an unfounded rumor.

I have had my Canon A70 camera for 1.5 years. I also purchased the underwater enclosure for it. The camera stays in it all the time so it is never exposed to dust or grit.

I had an E18 error happen 5 months ago. It cost me 140.00 to get it fixed.

Yesterday it happened again and the camera is screwed. Its sad. its going tcost me another 140 bucks to get it fixed.

I had a Sony before and it worked flawlessly for 3 years. I replaced it because I wanted something wih more megapixels.

Its a crying shame because i really like the camera and I use it for my web business. Unfortunately I am looking at another manufacturer product because I do not want aother disposable camera.

FYI i recommended the same camera to 3 of my friends who purchased them. Two of them died with an E18 error.

Oh yeah. Canon says they die when you power them down with a low battery? What kind of design is that??

Scot VanAlstine

Quote Originally Posted by harbormaster
    This is not an unfounded rumor.

I have had my Canon A70 camera for 1.5 years. I also purchased the underwater enclosure for it. The camera stays in it all the time so it is never exposed to dust or grit.

I had an E18 error happen 5 months ago. It cost me 140.00 to get it fixed.

Yesterday it happened again and the camera is screwed. Its sad. its going tcost me another 140 bucks to get it fixed.

I had a Sony before and it worked flawlessly for 3 years. I replaced it because I wanted something wih more megapixels.

Its a crying shame because i really like the camera and I use it for my web business. Unfortunately I am looking at another manufacturer product because I do not want aother disposable camera.

FYI i recommended the same camera to 3 of my friends who purchased them. Two of them died with an E18 error.

Oh yeah. Canon says they die when you power them down with a low battery? What kind of design is that??

Scot VanAlstine
    So we add 1 A70 to the list (not good). Did Canon send you a note saying that when powering down on a low battery the camera dies? It would be very interesting to see that statement.

Again, where is that enterprising lawyer?
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Found this by searching google for problems with s410 & e18 error. My s110 died after 2-3 years of light use. E18 error. I can hear slight clicking from it, but I eventually (after disassembling) discovered it was not the gears attempting to move. Thorough cleaning still left the camera dead (lens would not extend).

Guessing the servo popped, and believe me you do not want to be replacing that part.. it's buried. Cheaper to upgrade.

Interesting point: Canon offered to sell me a refurb s410 w/6 month warranty for $175 because I own an S110. Interesting, no? I'll bet there are known issues that have been addressed in the later cameras, and this is a way to allow users to upgrade / quiet their griping a bit.

I think I may take it, but I want to make sure this e18 issue is not prevalent in their more recent cameras.

Arrow

I'm an owner of a S500 (3 months). I've never had any E18 related problems.

S400 with E18... confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    If you have had, or currently have, a documented E18 error on you camera give us the particulars. I don't mean hear-say on the web, but actual first hand experience.

I have many freinds and relatives that have purchased all maner of Canons, in the past 2 years, and none has had a problem with the lens sticking (E18 error) or any other fatal error that I know of.

I suspect that this is being perpetuated by someone unhappy with Canon and trying to keep a one-time problem out there as a worldwide and productline wide problem, when it is not.
    Well, George, I just registered here at DCRP today for the sole purpose of adding to this thread.

Our Canon S400 was purchased around June 2003 (along with a padded carrying case and extra battery). Yesterday, after taking a round of indoor shots and short videos, we turned it back on and the lens stopped partway through extending, paused, retracted fully and the screen went black with an "E18" in the lower left corner. Shortly after this, the camera powered itself off completely.

The S400 can only be powered on in Play/View mode now. The exact same behavior described above is repeated each time I have tried powering it on in Camera mode. Battery and memory card swapping have no effect (as expected, but I wanted to rule everything out). I tried the "bump" method while the lens is extracting, also to no avail. The only thing I have not tried is pulling the battery for 24 hours, but I would prefer to retain the current settings.

The last used environment was in average temp./humidity conditions. The camera only has minor paint wear on the edges (from setting down on tables; metal rings on fingers; etc.) There are no dents or impacts and it has been kept in its padded carrying case during most of its inactive periods.

I too have been an avid Canon fan and user for years. My old AE1-Program served me well. Until yesterday, this S400 has been a great portable digicam and my only serious complaints about it were the last-minute-battery-warning (ie. lack of continuous battery level indication) and slow activation (lens extension during power on). I would also like to have had more than 3x optical zoom, but this was a feature lacking in most digicams of this size and type until recently.

I have noticed quite an assortment of folks talking about this E18 issue on the web. Forums at CNET have been locked by moderators without comment (although this may be due to the fact that they are supposed to be "review" forums). I found an interesting take-apart solution to the E18 problem for the IXUS line at this German site (English version linked):
    http://www.ixus-world.de/index.htm?t...e/e18_01en.htm

I have emailed Canon to see what they can offer, but from what I have heard about Canon's prices for repair (including the $150 for diagnosis) I may have to resort to using this IXUS page as a guide to attempting resuscitation of this S400 paperweight.

Perhaps there is a disgruntled person posting all over the internet, but from the variety of sources discussing the issue, I would say it *IS* a problem for at least some Canon retracting-lens owners. I cannot say if it is a "worldwide epidemic," however. I would like to point out that this body and lens design style is very similar across a wide array of Canon retracting-lens models. Just look at the IXUS take-apart. There appears to be very little difference structurally from my S400.

Sorry if this was long-winded. Confirm one E18 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuyver
    The only thing I have not tried is pulling the battery for 24 hours, but I would prefer to retain the current settings.
    You should try resetting the camera, I would have to say it is better to have a working camera that you have to reprogram with settings, than to have a paperweight!

Prior to my DSlr purchase I had an S200 for well over 2 years. It has traveled around the world with me and taken thousands of shots and I have never had a problem. Still works to this day.

Ken
    Canon dSLR User