Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    Unfortunatly I have found my way to this forum as a result of receiving an E18 error on my Canon IXUS 40 (bought in Europe, it's the same as the SD300 in the US). The camera is 2 weeks old and has been treated very carefully, it happened earlier today after taking 2 photos and whilst reviewing them the camera made beeping noises and the E18 message appeared on the screen. Subsequent attempts to restart the camera have yielded the error and the lens is stuck in the extended position.

I am actually extremely upset about this because I bought the IXUS 40 (SD300) after my previous Canon IXUS 400 (S400 in the US) developed this problem suddenly after a year of trouble free use. Since I was just about to go on holiday I figured I didn't have any choice and took the "opportunity" so to speak to upgrade my camera.

So now I'm on holiday in Australia with a camera that doesn't work, for the second time in several weeks.

Therefore I can confirm that this problem is real and if it's not as widespread as is suggested on some forums I read before finding this one then it seems I have been rather unlucky.

Some posters on other forums mentioned the problem fixing itself after leaving the camera for a while, but so far this doesn't seem to have helped with my camera.

I will call Canon tomorrow, but am not confident of a resolution that will have a functioning camera before my holiday is over. I have seen a site explaining how to pull the camera apart and repair it, but given this will void my warranty I'm certainly not going to be attempting this. But if anybody has any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Regards

Cam
    Cam, Sorry to hear about this. So far this is the only 1st person report I have with the E18 error. And for it to happen twice is really weird.

While I would advise you not to do anything rash, you might try to do a system reset by pulling the battery out for 24 hours and see if that resets the error. Might as well recharge the battery as well, just to make sure.

If that doesn't work I would take it back to where you purchased it and get a refund or replacement.

Again, thanks for the report. I guess it proves that this really does happen from time-to-time, and not just from blocking the lens on startup.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

pez Guest

E18 Error Twice

I also was unlucky enough to experience the E18 error code twice. My S400 Digital Elph died with this error last summer. We had it repaired at an authorized repair shop in Vancouver at a cost of CAD $160. Six months later the same error code reappeared. The repair shop has offered to fix it for $130 this time (their warranty is only 90 days). Haven't decided what to do yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pez
    I also was unlucky enough to experience the E18 error code twice. My S400 Digital Elph died with this error last summer. We had it repaired at an authorized repair shop in Vancouver at a cost of CAD $160. Six months later the same error code reappeared. The repair shop has offered to fix it for $130 this time (their warranty is only 90 days). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    It is definately time to contact Canon. Warranty or no. How long have you had the camera? Where did you buy it? Just curious.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

mark Guest

e18 1st day out of the box

I just purchased the A85 from blueswitchdigital.com. The price was good, I got extras and free shipping. The camera seems easy to use and I was phsyched to take it out of the box and begin shooting a few images around the house. After 10 shots e18 appeared and the lens wouldnt close properly. I thought it was the batteries. I charged up the batteries again and tried the next day again several pictures and the e18 , this time the lens closed. One more day and try again same result. Very, very annoyed so I googled e18 and discovered that the lens is prone to this... How many people have experienced it or what % I do not know, most people dont bother to write about it and I doubt that you could get an accurate measure from Canon. I called the dealer and I had to pay to return it where they will check it out. So there goes that bargain as it cost me $11 plus an hour to run to UPS and back. I am requesting a new A85. I am assuming that they will experience the error too if they give it a short workout. If they try and tell me there is nothing wrong with the camera or it needs to go for repairs I will scream bloody murder and post this BS treatment all over the net. I have read many good reviews about the camera and you do get alot of features for your money. I was thinking of saying fuggetaboutit and asking for a diferent brand but I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now and wait to see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I just purchased the A85 from blueswitchdigital.com. The price was good, I got extras and free shipping. The camera seems easy to use and I was phsyched to take it out of the box and begin shooting a few images around the house. After 10 shots e18 appeared and the lens wouldnt close properly. I thought it was the batteries. I charged up the batteries again and tried the next day again several pictures and the e18 , this time the lens closed. One more day and try again same result. Very, very annoyed so I googled e18 and discovered that the lens is prone to this... How many people have experienced it or what % I do not know, most people dont bother to write about it and I doubt that you could get an accurate measure from Canon. I called the dealer and I had to pay to return it where they will check it out. So there goes that bargain as it cost me $11 plus an hour to run to UPS and back. I am requesting a new A85. I am assuming that they will experience the error too if they give it a short workout. If they try and tell me there is nothing wrong with the camera or it needs to go for repairs I will scream bloody murder and post this BS treatment all over the net. I have read many good reviews about the camera and you do get alot of features for your money. I was thinking of saying fuggetaboutit and asking for a diferent brand but I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now and wait to see what they say.
    Mark, Many thanks for your input. I didn't know the A85 came with rechargables.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 01-27-2005 at 10:57 AM.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Redline Guest

E 18 error in my canon

I had a Canon A60 and after about a year and a half, without warning the lens would not extend and E18 error appeared in the lower left corner of the LCD.

had mine s70 3 days ago,
    no probs so far.
    hope none to come.

nicklarsen Guest
    Had an s230 for almost 3 years, no problem.
    Had an s400 for almost 2 years, no problem.
    And I've had an sd300 for about a week with no problems.

Additionally, I have 4 friends that have had s400's for the past year with no problems, and they are pretty hard on their's.

TimEllershaw Guest

Thumbs down I've got one...

I've had my Digital IXUS IIs for just over a year. ( So the warrenty has just expired ! )

Last week it started to have problems focussing, and then got the E18 error.

The lens is out and won't retract.

Looks like I'll be getting my scredrivers out ( Repair Guide )

My local Canon dealer says he will send it back to Canon , but they charge GBP50 just to examine it, and, off-the-record, suggested that he has returned "a couple of dozen" in the last year and that Canon have only repaired a few of them. (This cold just be a ploy to get me to buy something new from him ! )

Cheers,
    Tim.

I am afraid to say it but my Canon A70 just died. You guessed E18 error message and the lense wont close all the way. I had no idea these cameras had this problem until yesterday when mine died and started searching the net. The camera is 14 months old and canon wont do a thing about it, other than charge me $150 to fix it. Its the last canon I'll ever get. Anyone have any good suggestions for a new camera?