Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DiJ
    I have own three different canon digicams and none of them has the E18. My friend has one for 3years no E18. Most of the people who posted had E18 because thats what the thread ask for. They actually reperesent a very small percent of all canon users that visit this site.

E18 isnt a strange malicious disease thats hidden in every canon waiting to pop out. The message actually means theres an obstruction preventing lens from extending or retracting as it should. I was once at a shop and the salesperson tried to show me some teleconverters on an A80. He had the wrong adapter ring on(too short) and the lens hit the teleconverter giving an E18 message. He shut it off and on and the camera functions normal again. Sand and particles getting into the mechanism may cause a permanent E18 message. I have been told by a local canon engineer this is usually very easy to fix by and should not return again at least if your camera are in the right hands. Hope this makes you more comfortable about getting a canon.
    Everyone's situation is different. You said your friend had his for 3 years, but if he hardly use it than yes he won't have a problem with you. You have 3 camera, that mean you're not using 1 camera extensive. We all love our cannon when it work properly, we would defend it with our heart, but when a stupid bug like this totally kill our 300 dollar investment than yeah we're going to have doubts about the company. The point i'm trying to make is the problem exist, even if it doesn't effect you yet doesnt' mean it won't. It's all over the intenet, not just this forum. The question I ask is why is this a problem in the first place, when other camera are defect free. It's obviously a bug in the camera. Why risk buying a cannon and having to repair it a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmanrep
    I have the S110, A70, and G6 with NO problems, none.

I asked a friend who works in a camera shop and sells/repairs a lot of cameras (canon, nikon, konica-minolta, etc.) he said most of the cameras that come in for repair are NOT canon and that the E18 error is not common at all. In fact, he was very suprised to hear about this thread.

Ok, so now we have a camera repairman who repairs cams all the time saying the E18 error is not that common. Does this repairman perform warrantee work for Canon? Maybe people who get the E18 error send their defects directly to Canon and therefore this person does not see many of these repair jobs...to answer this, we would need to know if he performs service for Canon and the avg time from purchase to E18 error for the people who get this error (warantee vs out of warantee service).

All things considered, I would give more weight to a repairman's estimate of the E18 vs a regular digicam user.

If one really wants to find out, it would be nice (and probably difficult) to get Canon's records to really see how many repairs were done for the E18 error vs total units repaired and also vs total units sold. Until then, the claim that the E18 error is widespread has become a rumor rather than a fact.

Arrow

now, i slapped this together while i was at work doing what i get paid for, so i may have miscounted or violated some of my own method rules just because i got distracted by my day job. i do not guarantee it to be error-free, but i do guarantee it to be reasonably close.

so, i totted it up and i've got a rough count:
    Canon with no errors (mostly regular/senior members of the forum): 27
    Canon with e18 (posted just once or twice, joined to post): 33
    Canon with e18 (regular forum members): 2

e18 was reported on A60, A70, A80, A85, S230, S500, IXUS II, and IXUS 400.

method notes:

i discounted completely the one poster who claimed to have seen two e18's on drebs, because those are slr's and the e18 can't happen to them. not sure what that guy/gal was smokin'...

anyone who had just one post in their counter, i put in the "joined to post" category.

anyone who had five or fewer posts in their counter and their join date was the same month as their post in this forum, i put in the "joined to post" category.

anyone whose e18 went away after free repairs i didn't count in either category. they weren't exactly "no problem" people, but they weren't "my camera died of e18 causes" people either. this included: leaving out the batteries, power cycling, tapping on palm, disassembling, and warranty-covered shop repair.

anyone who reported on more than one camera got counted for every camera.

i tried to count only firsthand accounts. reports on parents, friends, or acquaintances were not counted.
    I just want to live happily ever after, every now and then. --Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Jmanrep
    I have the S110, A70, and G6 with NO problems, none.

I asked a friend who works in a camera shop and sells/repairs a lot of cameras (canon, nikon, konica-minolta, etc.) he said most of the cameras that come in for repair are NOT canon and that the E18 error is not common at all. In fact, he was very suprised to hear about this thread.
    Not wishing to doubt your motives here but go back and re-read what you wrote. I would take that to mean that he has not seen enough Canon digitals to draw a conclusion. If that is the case then this is a non-source.

It's like me saying that I have purchased 3 A75's for family members (which I have) and none has the E-18 error. So this error is not a problem.

The reason I started this thread was that I have never met anyone with a Canon all-in-one (and there are many) that has had this problem. And I'm still not convinced that it is that widespread, but for those whose camera has bit the dust...it's a bummer. And now this thread has become a place for those people to commiserate. Good therapeutic value if nothing else.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Thalas'shaya
    now, i slapped this together while i was at work doing what i get paid for, so i may have miscounted or violated some of my own method rules just because i got distracted by my day job. i do not guarantee it to be error-free, but i do guarantee it to be reasonably close.

so, i totted it up and i've got a rough count:
    Canon with no errors (mostly regular/senior members of the forum): 27
    Canon with e18 (posted just once or twice, joined to post): 33
    Canon with e18 (regular forum members): 2

e18 was reported on A60, A70, A80, A85, S230, S500, IXUS II, and IXUS 400.

method notes:

i discounted completely the one poster who claimed to have seen two e18's on drebs, because those are slr's and the e18 can't happen to them. not sure what that guy/gal was smokin'...

anyone who had just one post in their counter, i put in the "joined to post" category.

anyone who had five or fewer posts in their counter and their join date was the same month as their post in this forum, i put in the "joined to post" category.

anyone whose e18 went away after free repairs i didn't count in either category. they weren't exactly "no problem" people, but they weren't "my camera died of e18 causes" people either. this included: leaving out the batteries, power cycling, tapping on palm, disassembling, and warranty-covered shop repair.

anyone who reported on more than one camera got counted for every camera.

i tried to count only firsthand accounts. reports on parents, friends, or acquaintances were not counted.
    Thanks for tabulating this. My personal feeling still remains that the E18 error is a problem for a very small number of the total Canon all-in-one population. And most of these seem to be older cameras which may skew the meager data accumulated so far.

On the flip side of this I can't remember a more consistant problem re-occurance with any other brand. But it's probably out there without a focal point.

As I said before, I started this thread to disprove the myth. To some degree that has been accomplished, so now this is a place for a small group of owners to commiserate, and compare solutions.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    On the flip side of this I can't remember a more consistant problem re-occurance with any other brand. But it's probably out there without a focal point.
    You are so right. I was thinking about this the other day. This error has a name, a label, so it becomes easy to track and talk about. But what about other problems, any type of problems, (with Canons or any other manufacturer’s cameras) that don't have a name? They could be possibly more prevalent, but because they don't have a label, they get reported by different people in different ways, and thus, do not seep in the camera-buying public psyche the same way as the infamous E18 has. The label has allowed the people with the error to report in a semi-consistent way…but also to see themselves as a “class” of victims in common cause with a convenient rallying point. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be angry and disappointed…I certainly would be…I’m just saying that whatever Canon intended by creating the error message…they probably did not intend to have what is most likely a statistically minor problem turn into a full-blown Internet controversy. Fascinating…

But, every time I turn on my new $500.00 SD500, do I think about it and buy into the paranoia? Do I say "Oh no...my finger just touched the lens while extending!"? I’m only human, right?

It seems Canon is in a fix on this whole thing. If they wanted a way to prove that a camera had been dropped or suffered some other impact, removing any warranty claims , it hasn't worked very well. It looks like Canon has decided to cut their losses and let e18 owners leave and go elsewhere. There are no winners in this. The company can't replace every camera with this error. The owner can't prove he didn't drop or misuse it. That leaves the consumers with cameras that have the problem for no good reason...SCREWED ! Look, I see no reason why my S200 and S230 should not last 5 years each without a major problem, as long as they are not adused.If it costs $150+ to fix it, out of warranty, that would bring the total of owning that camera to nearly $400. The number of units effected are low...NOW. In a year or two or three, we will know better how serious this really is or is not !
    Last edited by dass; 03-31-2005 at 06:47 PM.

I have an A20, had an A80 and now use a G6 and i dont even know what an E18 error is
    John

A little sense to the madness

People who joined this forum to post their problem should be a good indicator to the slant that exists in this topic.

Every camera maker in the world has cameras that fail. I could be wrong but doesn't Canon sell multiple millions of cameras every year? I have a Nikon Coolpix 2500 and after a year and half the LCD is burnt out and it has no optical view finder(fun eh?) Your buying an electronic equipment with many, many parts. And as you may of notice, most of these problems are with lower cost-consumer line cameras. The less you pay for electronics generally the higher fail rate. You want an actual company who should be ashamed of what they sell? Try Samsung digital cameras; but should they be? There is a reason companies like Samsung, Audiovox, etc. are so cheap. QC's as skipped over, substandarded parts and construction to cut back costs. And whose fault is that? Consumers are the ones that constantly demand a lower price product and unfortunately to compete and give you that, quality suffers. Compare even name brand dvd players today to the $300 models of several years ago, I bet you the build quality is not as good.

Canon makes great cameras all across the board. So do other companies. Just because someone, or even you had a faulty camera doesn't mean the entire line or every make and model of that brand is faulty. The less you pay for an electronic product the less likely it will last, but even if you pay 1000's of dollars every electronic item can fail. Many issues beyond the manufactors controls effect this. Dust, electrical surges, heat(not enough air circulation), and others.

I'd like someone to look at how many digital cameras Canon has sold year over year from the earliest complaint of this error.

Canon isn't the best brand for every camera model they sell, but they are a dependable brand that constantly delivers good quality pictures. To give up on a brand just because it fails once is ridiculous, unless it was a bargain rate brand to begin with. Also, for the person who asked would you recommend a family member buy a refurbished camera.... I would never recommend to anyone that they buy something that has already been broken once and was repaired, the chance of further incident is far greater than with a new product.

Incase anyone was wondering, I sell digital cameras at a retailer and pentax and samsung(far in the lead) have been are most returned brands. Do note that we sell mostly lower priced consumer models.

Just my well, 10 cents I guess...

ginsengavenger Guest
    Well I found this thread through a google search and since it's still active I thought I'd chime in with my experience.

I've owned an A70 for about a year and a half now. I'd seen the E18 a couple times and was able to get past it with fresh batteries, but after fifteen months of heavy use it died for good. Buoyed by the IXUS rebuild walkthrough I figured I'd give my A70 a shot.

Today I broke it all the way down and cleaned it out. The zoom apparatus felt pretty well seized and I was unable to dismantle the telescoping elements--the ribbons around the CCD component are arranged differently from the IXUS and prevent complete disassembly without breaking solder points or cutting ribbon. I was however able to work it back and forth to loosen it up and eventually freely move the zoom apparatus back and forth. I think an air compressor may have come in handy here.

If anyone else attempts this, (and this has been mentioned but) keep track of your screws. There are lots of them of different sizes so organize well and label clearly. Also be aware that the sliding element that controls the optical viewfinder can interfere with the zoom's movement so it's best to remove it--there's a point near its apex where it can be popped out of its track.

I put it all back together and it's fully functional again!

I do feel that these are excellent, versatile cameras for the price point and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I agree with JTL's assessment that a named problem can become a convenient rallying point--I don't think Canon should be blamed for having built a good error trap into their cameras ;)
    I just wish we had more reliable data concerning the incidence rate of these problems.