Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    This may help some people who have the E18 error. I do not recommend trying the online guide for repairing it yourself use only at your own risk.

First, try hooking your camera up to the TV with the included A/V cable. Rumor has it that this resets the E18 error!

Second, try compressed air. With a fine tip blow off gun and dry compressed air (20 lbs) set the tip between the lens turret and the camera body and turn on the air while moving the tip around the lens. It should remove all sand and dust. Turn the camera on and it should function fine.

If that doesn't work, there's an online guide for repairing it yourself (only worth trying if your camera is no longer under warranty).

http://www.ixus-world.de/index.htm?t...e/e18_01en.htm
    Last edited by jbcm; 04-02-2005 at 06:59 AM.

4corpresp Guest

Talking why buy waste?

I joined to post this comment on two experiences with E 18. I think my Canon S40 just died from E18 for the last time. I have had an E18 twice before and fixed it, but this time its not looking good. What I have learned is that it may be "mechanical" that is related to the state of the case, dust in the lens mechanism, which would argue against taking the battery out for 24 hours - that would imply that some electrical charge needs to discharge, wouldn't it?

I just wanted to add that both times I have had the E18 error I also had problems reading my CF card. This time I got "no image" message from the camera and all other readers. I thought I had lost my photos of my kids and grandchildren at easter - and I had already "lost" photos from a summer vacation from last year's problem. This time I refused to accept the error (you will see why I have this attitude if you read on) and I asked my photo shop about it and they have a program that could "read" my CF card. Guess what! I got the Easter photos back AND the summer vacation photos. Isn't that crazy? And I had used this CF card many times, full, in the year in between.

I totall agree with those who say that expensive electronic products should last more than a couple of years. My Siemens cell phone died after 15 months, and the sales folks said, well, they are only made to last a year.

Consumer products made decades ago, not electronified of course, work well for decades - not years - and will continue working well because they were made to last. That was the social contract until the end of the 20th century. These electronic cameras are wonderful and do a lot for us, but they are not cheap products. They can be made to last, or they can be cheaply made. Canon will cut corners if consumers keep buying stuff that does not last. Built-in obselecense is alive and well but it only serve the producers. As long as consumers accept this we will live in a throw-away society.

These things only "seem" cheaper to toss or to replace rather than repair. But there are major social and environmental costs to this thinking. We pay in other ways, and it will catch up with us. I guess I am arguing for a bit more responsbility, by both consumers and by the producer-corporations. Consumers should demand quality, and use, and re-use more carefully and the producer, should manufacture, sell and repair more responsibly. If the E18 error is a manufacturing defect, Canon should do a "recall."

Lastly, why are posters, presumably consumers, defending Canon? I don't agree with those who say, well, Canon makes and sells so many cameras, we as consumers should put up with a few defects and, well, its the luck of the draw to get a lemon. Huh? Each consumer who pays 100's of dollars for a nice digital camera should get something of quality that lasts - say 10 years. I know that is not how this "are" and that we are on a treadmill of ever more fancy and new gadgets, and use and toss and instant gratification and all that, but is that the way it should be?

Ok, I will get off the soap box. Thanks for the posting of the repair site, I may try taking the camera apart. I have really liked this camera, I just wish I could have enjoyed it longer.

Unhappy The E18 error

Well I recently bought a Canon A95, I started taking a few pictures with it. When I decided to turn the camera off I noticed that the lense didn't retract back. So I pressed the on/off button again to see if it was just a glitch. Well, the camera made some beeping sounds and the E18 came up on the screen. So I sent it back to the place where I bought it and getting a refund. I think that it maybe be the luck of the draw with people who get the error. My brother has the exact same camera and has had it for a few months now and it is working excellent. I am still debating whether or not to get the same model.

sergema Guest

s100 and s400 with e18

I had three Canon Digital Elphs since 2000: s100, s200, s400.

Two of them: s100 and s400 have had e18 errors.
    s100 was appr. 6 months old when it developed the problem, was fixed by Canon under warranty.

Yesterday my two year old s400 got sick with the same symptoms. Recharging the battery and a little tap on its left side fixed the problem, not sure for how long, though.

Other people on this thread indicated that the e18 happens when turning the camera off with low battery after intensive use. Seems to be true in my case, too.

A friend of mine has an A70. He has the E18 problem all the time. He has some other problems, too. But he admits that the camera takes a lot of abuse. He has taken probably tens of thousands of pictures with it. He also noticed that the error appears when the batteries are low. Tapping and recharging fixes the problem(s)

My 2 cents.

Serge

Quote Originally Posted by hartgirl24
    Well I recently bought a Canon A95, I started taking a few pictures with it. When I decided to turn the camera off I noticed that the lense didn't retract back. So I pressed the on/off button again to see if it was just a glitch. Well, the camera made some beeping sounds and the E18 came up on the screen. So I sent it back to the place where I bought it and getting a refund. I think that it maybe be the luck of the draw with people who get the error. My brother has the exact same camera and has had it for a few months now and it is working excellent. I am still debating whether or not to get the same model.
    That's really unfortunate. I'm pretty disappointed with Canon quality control after reading these posts.

Reading manual...

Was reading the manual of my A520 (so far happy with it, especially at low iso settings) and in the list of messages it notes:

Exx - Camera malfunctioned. Turn off the power... ...take the camera to a Customer Support Help Desk.

Sounds like maybe this issues could rear its ugly head with the latest powershot series...

What can we learn?

we have an A85 ( made in Malesya, online store, lowest price, one year warranty) for 6 months with no problems so far.
    we do not belive in being extra gentle, a camera is a tool in house and out, and it should function in all kind of enviroments, kind and hard.
    You are on a Tour, you want to enjoy and photo the wonderful views, and not looking after your camera like it was a delicate china.
    I would like all owners of Canon DC that got the E18 error to look at the bottom of the camera and see where the camera was made. China, Malesya or Japan.
    How long a warranty they have.
    I know that warranty can be from 1 to 3 years for the same model. (depends on the cost of the camera and where you buy it from).
    OKY.

I have an A95 purchased for work about a year ago, made in China. No problems whatsoever so far.

hoeijen Guest

E18 with Ixus40

Bought the European ixus 40 in jan. Now I'am on a four month trip. After one month in australia suddenly the E18 pops up end the lens sounds strange when popping out. Still within warranty period but will take me three months
    to come back so no help there. Just bought a Nikon coolpix today for the other three months. I liked canon uptill now my old ixus V was fine, but for the moment no canon for me anymore. Certainly not when doing some googling with the E18.

Hendrik

carm3123 Guest

Canon Powershot S70 - E18 error

bought camera 12-29-04, took about 850 pictures through March 11 of 05, when camera quit. I had just finished taking some long exposure (15 sec)night shots witht he camer laid on its back. Went to shut the lens, and it wouldn't retract - beeped and displayed E-18, and some goofy horizontal bars in the display. Still under warranty - took it in... just got it back - service card said they replaced the optical sensor. How weird is that?