Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Call for E18 errors within the DCRP

OK. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting darn tired of the stupid E18 error rumormill. We have a lot of Canon owners on this forum, and I have yet to see any DCRP Canon owner report this error.

If you have had, or currently have, a documented E18 error on you camera give us the particulars. I don't mean hear-say on the web, but actual first hand experience.

I have many freinds and relatives that have purchased all maner of Canons, in the past 2 years, and none has had a problem with the lens sticking (E18 error) or any other fatal error that I know of.

I suspect that this is being perpetuated by someone unhappy with Canon and trying to keep a one-time problem out there as a worldwide and productline wide problem, when it is not.

Jeff if this survey is not to your liking then I won't feel bad about you killing it. But I think we need to put this to rest, as it has become a more common point of reference again, after disappearing for many months.

Or put your 2 cents worth in as well.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    OK. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting darn tired of the stupid E18 error rumormill. We have a lot of Canon owners on this forum, and I have yet to see any DCRP Canon owner report this error.

If you have had, or currently have, a documented E18 error on you camera give us the particulars. I don't mean hear-say on the web, but actual first hand experience.

I have many freinds and relatives that have purchased all maner of Canons, in the past 2 years, and none has had a problem with the lens sticking (E18 error) or any other fatal error that I know of.

I suspect that this is being perpetuated by someone unhappy with Canon and trying to keep a one-time problem out there as a worldwide and productline wide problem, when it is not.

Jeff if this survey is not to your liking then I won't feel bad about you killing it. But I think we need to put this to rest, as it has become a more common point of reference again, after disappearing for many months.

Or put your 2 cents worth in as well.

I have a Canon S1 IS and have had it for 6 months with no E-18 errors ever.

Got my A95 for about 3 months and no errors whatsoever.

this is a quote of myself, from another thread:

i've worked in electronics/digital cameras retail (but not for long!) for the last 1 1/2 years and have never encountered the e18 problem. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I know someone who fixes film cameras and there are actually many olympus stylus cams that have broken or stuck lenses, not canon. i'm really not sure why there is all this e18 talk in the air. i'll believe it when i see it.

this is not a quote:

i'd like to add that i've taken 8500+ photos with the A80 in conditions that include high wind, high wind + rain (got caught on a mountain-ish area in the rain without a cover, i took a few pictures and the camera got a little wet), on a boat with high wind, etc. and no problems. I keep mentioning high wind since i assume that is how something like a grain of sand would get in between the telescoping lens. again, no problems!

EDIT: added this to the thread but it is "hidden" on the 26th page:
    http://dcresource.com/forums/showthr...0275#post90275
    Last edited by ReF; 12-12-2005 at 03:34 AM.

Newman Guest
    I recently bought a Canon A400 with a fitted case. When the camera was in the case, it accidentally managed to turn itself on, and when I finally was able to slide the camera out, at the bottom of the LCD screen was the E18 error message. When I restarted the camera it functioned just as usual. This error was not a Canon flaw, but an operator mistake.

SD300, only had it for 3 weeks, taken it skiing and winter hiking with no problems.

New A95 owner (about 3 weeks) with no error messages yet. Love this camera!

I too bought the A95 about 4 weeks ago. Since then I have taken about 1000 pictures with it and no errors at all.

I'm an owner of a S100 (5 years) and S500 (Less than 3 months) and I've had no problems caused by the camera itself. All that I know is the S500 will have a CF card error if using a CF card which is too slow/old and taking continuous shots/movies with it. And E18 errors are only caused if you block the lens when it's extending or hold it tightly when retracting.

Unfortunatly I have found my way to this forum as a result of receiving an E18 error on my Canon IXUS 40 (bought in Europe, it's the same as the SD300 in the US). The camera is 2 weeks old and has been treated very carefully, it happened earlier today after taking 2 photos and whilst reviewing them the camera made beeping noises and the E18 message appeared on the screen. Subsequent attempts to restart the camera have yielded the error and the lens is stuck in the extended position.

I am actually extremely upset about this because I bought the IXUS 40 (SD300) after my previous Canon IXUS 400 (S400 in the US) developed this problem suddenly after a year of trouble free use. Since I was just about to go on holiday I figured I didn't have any choice and took the "opportunity" so to speak to upgrade my camera.

So now I'm on holiday in Australia with a camera that doesn't work, for the second time in several weeks.

Therefore I can confirm that this problem is real and if it's not as widespread as is suggested on some forums I read before finding this one then it seems I have been rather unlucky.

Some posters on other forums mentioned the problem fixing itself after leaving the camera for a while, but so far this doesn't seem to have helped with my camera.

I will call Canon tomorrow, but am not confident of a resolution that will have a functioning camera before my holiday is over. I have seen a site explaining how to pull the camera apart and repair it, but given this will void my warranty I'm certainly not going to be attempting this. But if anybody has any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Regards

Cam