Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: How many lenses are with your camera on a regular basis?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll

1 7.69%

5 38.46%

5 38.46%

1 7.69%
  • 5+

1 7.69%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs up A successful and enjoyable time

It was a good lens selection, as I used all three lenses ... and really only had a need for the 50mm f/1.4 at the USAF Academy. I refrained from using the 2x T/C ... due to my rather intense dislike of the devices (only in desperation, not by choice).

Unfortunately, I had the vehicle (2008 GMC Yukon) for all my gear ...

Name:  Denver-Yukon.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  219.2 KB

but, I was traveling as light as I dare, due to the flippin' airplane ride and TSA's invasive techniques. Lotsa car @ $23/day ... and all I brought was a sling bag. It's a rough life.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-18-2008 at 11:34 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Here's my bag as packed normally and for Mexico, minus a few things that I'm currently using like the laptop, external HDD, etc. Inside those clear-ish pockets you'll find various cables...firewire/USB for syncing the time with my laptop, battery charger cords, PC sync cords, etc. In the slots themselves clockwise from top left: Sigma 12-24mm + AA charger, 10D w/BG-ED3 Grip + 70-200 f/2.8 IS + TR Pak IIa, 1D II charger + CP-E3, Sunpak 383, Vivitar 5600, 580EX II, Empty slot for external HDD & its cables, 1D II + bracket + 24-70L + OC-E3, AA batteries + body cap + ebay wireless triggers + tripod QR plates, NP-E3 + BP-511 batteries x2 each + BP-511 charger, Sekonic L-358 + Pentax Takumar 50mm f/1.4 + body/lens caps, empty slot for I forget what. On the outside is a zippered pocket for the laptop AC adapter, and on the front are various pockets and slots that hold things like grey cards, a big pack of alkaline batteries, card reader, Fuji battery charger, Lumiquest Softbox, my bomber vest, etc.

Name:  2008-04-19-0002sm.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  79.7 KB
    Last edited by cdifoto; 04-30-2008 at 04:04 AM.
    Ouch.

It would seem to be a well-suited inventory for an indoor attack. Most of my recent effort was entirely outdoor. Darn few opportunities for any kind of flash ... so half of the above bag would have been ... so much extra weight, one of the reasons the backpack was avoided.

I suspect that a generic approach is fine, if you have that kind of package ... but, I kind of knew what I was walking into. On-the-spot review of most shots was incredibly difficult because of the intense sunlight, even in shadow ... and I appreciated bracketing almost every shot, allowing for some adjustments to produce a relatively decent result. I would have burned through a lot of film, that's for sure.

Looks like a hell of a bag, though, Don. Lots of portable light ... where there isn't much. Fortunately, that wasn't an issue with the Colorado mountains.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yeah I'm doing a wedding on a beach of the Yucatan in June so the chances of needing fill light are about 100%. hah. I don't actually carry that pack on me at all times...it's more of a from here to there storage bag. I put it somewhere and load up the bomber's vest (Newswear Chestvest) once I get to an actual "set" and can analyze my exact needs.
    Ouch.

Red face Packing ... LIGHT!

I agree ... that's a most excellent pack for that. With the Canon I had, I was running around with three flashes and a portable reflecting kit, in an attempt to provide a truly portable, soft light solution. It didn't work as well as I had hoped ... but, it had potential. Heck, I'm still playing with lighting solutions ... incorporating Gary Fong's ideas ... but, still meeting with limited success. Since I completed my college work, the experimentation has been reduced in that area.

To be frank, I truly hated the idea of having to drag those relatively huge "car batteries" around with me (supplies for strobes) and I still seek alternative ideas for a real solution.

Name:  PS Flash.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  33.6 KB

Who knows? Perhaps we are looking at a photographic business point that needs fresh eyes and a new approach. Obviously, the old stuff is either not enough photons or impractical to carry. I figure maybe we could incorporate the newer LED technology in a new way, perhaps building a lightweight ring of lamps around a zip-disk diffuser ... and setting it off in a similar way that the Digi-Slav 6400 does it.

Name:  FADSFLR6400.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  20.9 KB

LEDs are rugged as all get out, small and relatively light. You could rapidly pop open the LED-laced diffuser, from its soft bag ...

Name:  zip disk flash.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  62.0 KB

(something like this - you get the idea - add LEDs as necessary) plug it in to your "AA" supply and wireless trigger device and "POP", instant light all over the place ... fold it right back up and stuff it. Now, that's packing LIGHT!

Whatever it turns out to be, weight reduction, in my estimation, is paramount. Most of us are just a "one-man show." Killing yourself for images doesn't make a lot of sense, either.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-19-2008 at 03:14 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    Here's my bag as packed normally and for Mexico, minus a few things that I'm currently using like the laptop, external HDD, etc. Inside those clear-ish pockets you'll find various cables...firewire/USB for syncing the time with my laptop, battery charger cords, PC sync cords, etc. In the slots themselves clockwise from top left: Sigma 12-24mm + AA charger, 10D w/BG-ED3 Grip + 70-200 f/2.8 IS + TR Pak IIa, 1D II charger + CP-E3, Sunpak 383, Vivitar 5600, 580EX II, Empty slot for external HDD & its cables, 1D II + bracket + 24-70L + OC-E3, AA batteries + body cap + ebay wireless triggers + tripod QR plates, NP-E3 + BP-511 batteries x2 each + BP-511 charger, Sekonic L-358 + Pentax Takumar 50mm f/1.4 + body/lens caps, empty slot for I forget what. On the outside is a zippered pocket for the laptop AC adapter, and on the front are various pockets and slots that hold things like grey cards, a big pack of alkaline batteries, card reader, Fuji battery charger, Lumiquest Softbox, my bomber vest, etc.

Name:  2008-04-19-0002sm.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  79.7 KB
    Gulp!

Panasonic Lumix FZ20
    Canon EOS 400D
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm
    Canon EF 90-300mm
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

I throw the D300 w/ 18-55/2.8 mounted, 12-24/4, 50/1.8, and my SB800 in my small bag. Thats a good one for just the daily stuff.

My big bag gets the addition of the 70-200, my assortment of filters, MB-D10 grip, and a bunch of the odds and ends like blowers, lens cleaning, cables, and all that other junk.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor 12-24/4 | Nikkor 50/1.8 | Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VRI | Sigma 18-50/2.8 | SB-800 | SB-80DX (x4) | Radiopopper JrX Studio |

I figured it would be fun to drag this one back up. How many lenses do you typically carry, and what are they.

This is sorta explained in the flickr page I link to in the "Casing the joint" thread, but now my daily carry is the Tamrac Aero 85 with my a300 with either the MinO 28-85 or 50mm 1.7 mounted, the beercan, and the kit lens.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

You have it light, young one! Muahahahahaha

flickr & Sdi

As it is winter and indoor sports season I have my 'fast bag' packed. A700 with Tamron 70-200 2.8 mounted, Minolta 50mm 1.7 it's small light and fast takes up almost no room. Tamron 17-50 2.8, and the Tokina 28-70mm 3.5 - 4.5 mainly because there is room for it and I don't have a flash unit to put in the spot! Extra battery, memory cards, cables, a lens pen and some CZ premoistened lens wipes.
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/