Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: How many lenses are with your camera on a regular basis?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll

1 7.69%

5 38.46%

5 38.46%

1 7.69%
  • 5+

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What's in your regular tote?

I'm kind of curious as to what everyone is carrying with them as regular lenses with their DSLR.

It's tough to cover all the bases with just one lens ... but, some do try. If you don't carry a big lens bag, you're rather strapped.

So ... how many lenses are with your camera on a regular basis? Detail them with a supporting comment as to why, if you would.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile My personal bag ...

My standard bag is a Tamrac Sling-bag which allows me to sport the SONY α700/VG-C70AM with:
    • Tokina AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 mounted,
    • TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 unmounted
    • SONY AF 50mm f/1.4 unmounted, for low light opportunities.

I also have the HVL-F56AM external flash in the bag ... but that covers the standard fair. Total cost runs about $2700, including the bag. It's a conservative bag, to be sure.

Name:  Tamrac-Sling.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  222.7 KB

Unlike the backpack, the sling bag allows you to stand there, rotate the bag around your body, from back to front, without actually having to remove it. Thereby you can remove your camera body and lenses safely from the top, without dumping it. Now, for the female photographers, I cannot really comment. Due to various physical differences of the upper body, one-size may not fit all.

The sling bag is one of the only bags that can accomodate the extra-height size of the vertical grip.

Name:  Sling-open.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  224.3 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-23-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

bag..lol...suitcase!!!!
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 01-11-2010 at 06:54 PM.

50mm/1.8 mounted. 85mm/1.8, 10-20mm, sb800.
    thats my regular kit. i dont bother taking the 70-200 unless i know i'll need it. i take the primes cos they are sharp and work beautifully, it has nothign to do with low light.
    Last edited by Rooz; 03-22-2008 at 05:41 PM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

To be honest, I had hoped there would be a few more photographers responding to this posting. It's non-partisan and requires minimal thought, much like the Presidential candidates are demonstrating. LOL

@SONYNUT .... is that some "lens shadow" I see ... with a "pop up?"

Name:  kist.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  68.4 KB

Just try sporting THAT suitcase on your chest! I am sorry, you are, literally, "grounded" getting a lens or camera out of that.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-11-2009 at 10:43 AM.

flickr & Sdi

perhaps put it into the general dslr forum. its an interesting question
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Fair enough ... but, I worry about detractors. You know ... those guys!

flickr & Sdi

lets see how many of them carry VR/ IS lens' lol
    flickr

ALways carry one mounted, or the DT 18-70 or the Sigma 70-300 with the 1,4x teleconverter also from Sigma.
    My fav is the big tele but its very hard sometimes to shoot when space is little.
    Yeah, its nice for the moon or long distance but inside buildings its hard and also very heavy.
    Im tempted to bring another A100 to keep lens on each machine.
    Sony A100 + DT18-70mm + Sigma 70-300mm with 1,4 Conversor.

Cool Come on, Rocky Top! CO, not TN

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    My standard bag is a Tamrac Sling-bag which allows me to sport the SONY α700/VG-C70AM with:
    • Tokina AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 mounted,
    • TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 unmounted
    • SONY AF 50mm f/1.4 unmounted, for low light opportunities.

I also have the HVL-F56AM external flash in the bag ... but that covers the standard fair. Total cost runs about $2700, including the bag. It's a conservative bag, to be sure.

Unlike the backpack, the sling bag allows you to stand there, rotate the bag around your body, from back to front, without actually having to remove it. Thereby you can remove your camera body and lenses safely from the top, without dumping it. Now, for the female photographers, I cannot really comment. Due to various physical differences of the upper body, one-size may not fit all.

The sling bag is one of the only bags that can accomodate the extra-height size of the vertical grip.
    Okay, I rearranged the tote for my upcoming, weekend trip to Colorado. I would like to take the backpack, personally, but the airlines are becoming so goofy and erratic, I just gave up. One bag ... give me a break! Yeah, I do need some clothes ... not just a couple pairs of briefs like Ashton Kutcher.

So, in the sling bag ...

SONY α700 w/ extra batteries and VG-C70AM
    and all zooms ...
    SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6 "Vista shots"
    TAMRON 17-50 f/2.8 "Walkabout"
    Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 "Nature - gettin' in there"
    2x T/C - just in case
    and the external flash.

This should cover an on-the-run bag-o'-changeable glass. I figure the mountains may deserve more than just the ol' 18-250 treatment. The weather is supposed to be gorgeous, this weekend, there ... 70F! Yes, sir. Springtime in the snow-covered Rockies!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-11-2009 at 10:47 AM.

flickr & Sdi