Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

How to take pictures of lightning??

What settings should I use and how long of an exposure can you take with a digital camera. I got nervous when the camera shutter locked open for a few seconds. I never worried with film but don' know if digital is different.
    Thanks
    Frank

PS I know I have to wait for a lightning storm. I just want to be ready.
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Take the following "with a grain of salt" because I've never successfully captured lightning. BUT ... I learned the following from my failures, and from the advice of people who succeeded.

Put your camera in the Bulb setting, or the equivalent on your camera, so you can click the shutter once to open and again to close. No worries about leaving it open too long. The max on my D50 is 30 minutes. You will need a tripod, of course.

If it is very dark outside, you can use a very long shutter speed without overexposure. So set up your camera on the tripod, use wide aperture, direct your widest lens toward the general area of the lighting, and use the wireless remote or the rubber band method* to open the shutter. Leave it open until the lightning strikes. Then close shutter, repeat.

*If you don't have a wireless remote, you can wrap a rubber band around the body of the camera to hold down the shutter button. Remove rubber band to release shutter.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

first you need a kite, some string and a key...lol