Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: lenses

Hybrid View

lenses

just wondering. i have a d40x. are there any lenses made by sigma, tamron, tokina that will work full featured with my camera or am i locked into buying strictly nikon lenses?
    would be moot for me to say nikon has nice lenses. i love the 50mm f/1.8, but as u well know i must manual focus. not a big issue. or do i just need to step up a notch or 2?
    thanks for any help.

given the d40's success and the release of the d60, i think nikon may be headed towards removing the AF motor in its consumer dslr's in the near future so i doubt it will be long before all nikon mount lens' from tamron/ sigma will have AF motors built in so all will AF on the d40/x/60.

any HSM lens from sigma will af, here is a full list of sigma lens', so just look for the HSM coding. http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all.asp

tamron have a heap aswell that they have just released. their range of Di and DiII lens' are below. most of the new lens are d40 compatible but you have to check the mount and it will specifically say "inbuilt focus motor for Nikon DSLR's".

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/di.asp
    http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/diII.asp

i dont think tokina have released any d40 compatible lens' as yet.

what sort of lens are you after ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

well i got the 18x55 and 55x200 kit lenses. they r ok but definitely lack the pop, clarity and sizzle of a lot of pictures i see posted here. although i am novice to dslr's i fully understand (a) learning the art and science of the hobby/passion and (b) a lot of the really neat photos are not shot free hand and finally (c) a tasty picture is not made by a camera.....rather the guy using the camera.
    u know when u hang here in the forum everybody else does not seem to stay with the kit lens. there must be a reason? or am i just being finicky?
    having said that, i bought a 50mm f/1.8 lens. now that little lense rocks!!! outside its clarity and color sizzle, actaully POP off the screen. on the 40x she doesnt auto focus. not a biggie but would be nice to find a semi affordable version of that lense that would work with my camera. in the dark or dusk the 50mm is just a beast for playing with.yup. would be nice to find something similar. maybe a 1?x5? with a 2.8 aperture? the nikon version of that particular flavor is VERY pricey.
    i also like shooting birds, bugs and far away things. after reading about the 17x200 vr and everybody not totally in love with it (at $600-700) i decided to order the 70x300 f/4.5-5.6 vr. was able to demo one and was really impressed!! fed ex tried to deliver today. was at work. i leave for work b4 fed ex truck ever hits the road and return home long after the fed ex guys sittin at the dinner table.
    so i put in call to beach and they said the only thing they could do was cancel the delivery order, refund my money once they get the lense back....then i could re-order but use a different ship to address where someone can sign. always something.
    so it appears my new (large for me) acquisition will be delayed a couple weeks and i thought i would query the experts for advice and knowledge. your reply has been very enlightening. hope more will respond with their thoughts and perhaps 1st hand experience using the sigma/tamron lenses.
    thanks, donnie

u know when u hang here in the forum everybody else does not seem to stay with the kit lens. there must be a reason? or am i just being finicky?

actually alot of d40 guys especially still use the kit lens. the reason people "upgrade" is cos they can afford nicer glass.

would be nice to find something similar. maybe a 1?x5? with a 2.8 aperture? the nikon version of that particular flavor is VERY pricey.

sigma 18-50mm f2.8 HSM and i believe tamrons 17-50 f2.8 is also d40 compatible, (or will be soon).

great news about the sigma 50mm f1.4 ! wow.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Sigma just announced a 50mm f/1.4 lens with HSM. This I think will focus on the D40/D40x/D60.

just saw that at dpreview. be interesting to see where the prices start.