Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

c17jaf Guest

Lens compatibility GX-1S

I've just bought one of these and I must say I love it.

I just wondered whether or not any other members have any knowledge about lens compatibility?

Reading the reviews before I bought mine, I was under the impression that all Pentax compatible K mount lenses would work (although not necessarily with full electronic function)

I have a Sirius MC 80-200mm auto zoom that I was hoping would tide me over until I could afford to buy original equipment. It fits the camera body perfectly but I just get 'AV....' flashing by way of a reading and the camera will not operate.

At risk of sounding like a techno-tard here (I do have my moments), am I missing something here? Is there an override function I have not grasped or is this lens simply no good for this camera?

If it is not then I am in the market for a new zoom - any pointers folks?

Any help would be appreciated

Tony

Pentax/Samsung DSLRs, considering lens compatibility, are a class of their own. You can use almost all Pentax (and other brands) K-mount lenses ever manufactured on any Pentax/Samsung DSLR. You will even get focus confirmation and image stabilisation! And you can use the aperture ring!

Here are the details:

Will my old Pentax lenses work on my new Pentax SLR?

Yes they will, but there are some limitations. See below for general advice. If you wish to check specifically, contact us with your lens and body combination and we'll tell you about all the functions available.

M lens1975 to 1983 approx.
    No AF, Power zoom, Program modes, Shutter Priority, Multi-segment metering

A lens1983 to 1987 approx.
    No AF, Power Zoom

F lens1987 to date
    No Power zoom

FA lens1991 to date
    no loss of function

M and A lenses are manual focus, F and FA are auto focus.

How do I use screw thread lenses on a 'K' mount camera?

Use a K Mount adapter for screw thread lenses [30120]. K mount lenses can not be used on screw thread body.

Is it possible to use 645/645n lenses on a 35mm body?

Yes - you need a K Adapter for 645 [38455]

(pentax.co.uk FAQ)
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

Samsung made their DSLR with the Pentax lens mount, which makes it compatible with a huge number of lenses, including a lot of old manual focus lenses. Why don't you give us some more info on how much you have to spend and what kind of subjects you plan to take pictures of. Then we can help point you to some good lens options that will work for you and fit your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Angeloner View Post
    Why don't you give us some more info on how much you have to spend and what kind of subjects you plan to take pictures of.
    Why? Because they asked the question 4 years ago.

Samsung made their DSLR with the Pentax lens mount, which makes it compatible with a huge number of lenses, including a lot of old manual focus lenses. Why don't you give us some more info on how much you have to spend and what kind of subjects you plan to take pictures of. Then we can help point you to some good lens options that will work for you and fit your budget

Quote Originally Posted by Angeloner View Post
    Samsung made their DSLR with the Pentax lens mount, which makes it compatible with a huge number of lenses, including a lot of old manual focus lenses. Why don't you give us some more info on how much you have to spend and what kind of subjects you plan to take pictures of. Then we can help point you to some good lens options that will work for you and fit your budget
    The is a 4 year old thread, the OP has bought whatever lenses he needed a long time ago and isn't coming back to this site.