Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FZ20 Focus issue

I've searched the forums and not found a solution to this one, can anyone help?

Whilst taking pictures of plants at the weekend I turned my FZ20 into portrait mode i.e. I rotated it 90 degrees, and when I tried to fcus on a tree branch, range about 10 feet, the autofocus practically refused to find it. I tried using all the autofocus options (spot etc) with almost no improvement. In landscape mode the camera found focus virtually every time.

Is this a fault or a feature?

a feature

because in portrait mode, the camera try to get the background out of focus.

by portrait mode, i believe he means longer than wide, versus your typical "landscape" shot.

if you would post both pictures from both modes, or even better, post the exif data, I am sure I, or someone could help.
    in landscape mode it will always focus, since usually focus is set to infinity, and everything is in focus.

I am not at all sure of the reason, but it takes a vertical contrasting edge for the camera to focus. Maybe when you turn the camera sideways you then need a horizontal edge. Try it and see if it helps.

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

Quote Originally Posted by genece
    I am not at all sure of the reason, but it takes a vertical contrasting edge for the camera to focus. Maybe when you turn the camera sideways you then need a horizontal edge. Try it and see if it helps.
    Johnrs

I think Gene is right on. First focus on the tree in landscape by pressing the shutter half way, and while holding it half way, rotate the camera to portrate, compose and take the picture.

Let us know how you make out.

LarryB

may not be the cause in this case, but i find in low light i must be constantly aware not to block the autofocus light with my support hand.

with the metal pemaraal adapter hung on the front, the natural grip is to support the lens on the thumb and pinkie; index finger on focus lever; ring and middle fingers extending over top of the lens.

when camera is turned vertical, grip is with middle, ring, and pinkie fingers wrapped around lens.

either way is difficult not to block the af assist light.
    Last edited by shu246; 01-05-2005 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks Gene and LarryB.

My solution at the time was to half press the shutter and rotate, but even that took several tries. It's quite a fiddly procedure holding the shutter release and turning the camera because I either fired the shutter or lost the pressure on the shutter release.

Practise may be the solution and a recognition from the manufacturers that in photographic terms 'vertical' can be either way round!

Switch between AF and MF

Hi there,

Could you not auto-focus in landscape, then switch to manual focus and take the picture in portrait?

Good thought, Simon, I'll give that a try!
    Ta

eebee Guest

The manual says that it's a feature

I don't have an FZ-20 as yet, so can't confirm this but page 57 (of 116) of the PDF manual states that Portrait mode allows the subject to stand out from an UNFOCUSED background.