Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aquarium Photos

TheMayer,
    Beautiful...those pictures are awesome, and you did that with the S5is, love it. My son's tank is a real big one, I will have to remember to try lights over head when I go to his house. Thanks for the tip.
    Cindy,
    "I don't want to live forever, but forever do I want it known that I lived"...

I usually have my XTi set to 800 or 1600 when we visit the aquarium where we have an annual passport for unlimited admission. I also use the 430EX Flash to illuminate the subjects, but the following photos were taken with the pop-up flash and the kits lens:

Dana Lugassy
    New Joizy

My Gear: 40D, Rebel XTi, 430EX Speedlite, Canon 28-135 IS USM, Canon 50mm 1.8; Tamron 17-50 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by cindy4928 View Post
    TheMayer,
    Beautiful...those pictures are awesome, and you did that with the S5is, love it. My son's tank is a real big one, I will have to remember to try lights over head when I go to his house. Thanks for the tip.
    Thank you very much Cindy. Yes, all of those were shot with my S5I, I love this camera, it has been the perfect first step into the hobby.

I got very discouraged when I first started shooting my fish because I wasn't getting anything good out of my efforts. I tried many things before I found a few tricks that work really well. I found super-macro mode can be great but you have to be really patient. I also found that shooting from 6-8 feet from the tank but zoomed in can work very well. Turn all lights in the room off except those above the tank, and it helps to have something blocking the light from going anywhere but down into the tank. And as I said before burst mode can yield some unexpectedly good shots, sometimes you just catch them at that moment when they are still.

On a VERY sad note... the fish in the first pic, with the red dorsal fin... I found him this morning... no longer... swimming.. . He was probably my favorite fish.

Good luck and post up some pics of your progress!
    -TheMayer-
    Canon S5is
    -Lensmate 52mm adapter
    -HOYA HMC UV filter
    -52mm Lenshood & Lenscap
    -SanDisk Extreme III 2gb SD
    -Canon 100EG Cam Bag (great bag!)

My Photo Bucket