Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How to shoot the moon

I saw a beautiful, huge full moon a few weeks ago. I ran in the house and grabbed the Canon S5 IS. But as I started taking shots I quickly saw that the moon came out as just a blown out white blob, with no detail. I assume this is an issue with the white balance? Any tips on how to zoom this bad boy in on the moon and get some shots that show a little detail other than this blown out mess? Is it as simple as mounting this guy on a tripod and going for a long exposure, or will white balance still cause problems even in that case?

This is not a white balance problem. The Moon is a sunlit object. Your meter was fooled by all of the darkness around it and your shot is overexposed. Use exposure compensation or try manual until you can see the details of the moon.
    Digital:
    Canon PowerShot A570 IS

Nikon D5000

Film:
    Fujica ST605n
    Olympus XA

Cameras from my past:
    Fujifilm S6000fd; Canon PowerShot S50; Canon PowerShot A40; Nikon N8008s; Pentax Spotmatic F; Fujica ST605; Canon Canonet GIII QL19

Thanks for the tip. When the rain clears up down here I'll give it a spin.

The easiest way to shoot the moon is to have someone you know turn around, bend over, drop their drawers. You be sure to use a wide angle lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    The easiest way to shoot the moon is to have someone you know turn around, bend over, drop their drawers. You be sure to use a wide angle lens.
    lol, you beat me to it!
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    You just reminded me of something....

Ages ago I knew a lady that ran a secondhand women's clothes shop. I used to pop in and chat with her as running a shop is largely about sitting there with nobody in the shop.

Anyhow a couple of women came in and one - the larger lady - tried on a pair of jeans and asked her friend the immortal question "does my arse look big in this". Her friend lied, saying "no - i don't think so. You look really good in that". I looked and thought of elephants and barn doors as comparisons but kept zipped.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmuscato View Post
    I saw a beautiful, huge full moon a few weeks ago. I ran in the house and grabbed the Canon S5 IS. But as I started taking shots I quickly saw that the moon came out as just a blown out white blob, with no detail. I assume this is an issue with the white balance? Any tips on how to zoom this bad boy in on the moon and get some shots that show a little detail other than this blown out mess? Is it as simple as mounting this guy on a tripod and going for a long exposure, or will white balance still cause problems even in that case?
    its not a long exposure, its actually quite a fast shutter speed of around 1/125s minimum. spot meter, sunlight WB, around f8, iso100.

D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Rooz, was that moon shot taken with your nikon? I have seen it before I think and I admire the detail. This is the best I have gotten with My S5. I would love to be able to capture as much detail as that with my S5, I don't know if that's even possible.

Tv 1/80, Av f8.0, Center Weighted Light Meter, ISO 80, full digital zoom, Auto white balance, manual focus (all the way out of course), no tripod (leaned against brick column).

Happy New Year!
    -TheMayer-
    Canon S5is
    -Lensmate 52mm adapter
    -HOYA HMC UV filter
    -52mm Lenshood & Lenscap
    -SanDisk Extreme III 2gb SD
    -Canon 100EG Cam Bag (great bag!)

My Photo Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by TheMayer78 View Post
    Rooz, was that moon shot taken with your nikon? I have seen it before I think and I admire the detail. This is the best I have gotten with My S5. I would love to be able to capture as much detail as that with my S5, I don't know if that's even possible.

Tv 1/80, Av f8.0, Center Weighted Light Meter, ISO 80, full digital zoom, Auto white balance, manual focus (all the way out of course), no tripod (leaned against brick column).

Happy New Year!
    thanks.

i've seen some cracking moon shots with the s3 so am sure you can get it done with the s5. your image could use a faster shutter speed cos its a little bright. that will help with camera shake aswell. i'd even consider going up to 1/250s. i remember a few full moon shots i took and i was using a 1/340s shutter speed...thats how bright a full moon can be on a clear night.

keep in mind that with a full moon you seem to get less detail than with a partial moon. i'm sure theres a logical reason for that...i just don;t know what it is. lol
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    thanks.

keep in mind that with a full moon you seem to get less detail than with a partial moon. i'm sure theres a logical reason for that...i just don;t know what it is. lol
    I think it's because of the angle of the sunlight on the moon, it's at more of an angle, which cast more shadows and shows the texture of the surface better.
    Digital:
    Canon PowerShot A570 IS

Nikon D5000

Film:
    Fujica ST605n
    Olympus XA

Cameras from my past:
    Fujifilm S6000fd; Canon PowerShot S50; Canon PowerShot A40; Nikon N8008s; Pentax Spotmatic F; Fujica ST605; Canon Canonet GIII QL19