Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What would you buy the Canon XTi or Nikon D40?

I am looking at both the the Canon XTi or Nikon D40. I don't have any old lenses except for an old zoom lens from a Nikon EM. I was hoping to take pictures of vacation spots, family gatherings, maybe school sports, low light sometimes. I was looking to get a kit lens of 18-55mm with the camera. Maybe I would buy a zoom lens in the future. I know that the Nikon D40 needs to have lenses with auto focusing in the lens, if I'm not going to be buying alot of lenses will this be a problem? Which would you buy?

Lightbulb The lens and the camera ...

Personally ... you sound like you want true convenience with your DLSR ... and that would be whatever body you choose, a matching external flash ... and the TAMRON 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 lens.

Name:  tamron 18-250 small.JPG
Views: 6406
Size:  30.9 KB

This one lens will s-t-r-e-t-c-h from one end of the focal range to the other, without having to change lenses. That's pretty handy and by not having to constant swap and remove it, it keeps the dust out of your camera body, too.

As to the Nikon or the Canon intro-DSLRs ... you might might to throw a SONY A200 (<= click here) in there, just for inspection, because it has stabilization in-the-camera body ... which neither the Canon or the Nikon can do. They must have image stabilization provided by every lens you put on it. That can be a bit pricey, in the long run. The SONY offers image stabilization to every lens you mount ... which can save you money, in the long run. Since you have no dedication to any legacy equipment ... this could be the perfect option for you.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-23-2008 at 07:04 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don has a sensible post (yay!)

If you're not deadset needing a camera right NOW, you may want to wait until about April when the Canon XSi is released, this should drive down the price of the XTi if you decide on that- and if not, you will have a better idea of what is new on the market and how they perform stacked up to the D40, XTi and/ or A200... This could also lead to you having a little bit more money to spend- you know, memory cards, you lens, camera bag... any thing else you may want to add to the list to get... Patience is a virture in electronics and those who have to buy everything right away often get taken...

That's just my opinion though!
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

Emmabelle - You have some great photos from your SX100IS. Can you describe why you want a change to DSLR? It's a fascinating hobby no matter what body you choose. Is it the high iso you are looking for, image quality, selection of lens ect.. Just trying to get more information so others here can help.
    Spook
    Canon EOS 50D,7D and some lens and equipment.
    Fuji F200 Exr

Quote Originally Posted by emmabelle View Post
    I am looking at both the the Canon XTi or Nikon D40. I don't have any old lenses except for an old zoom lens from a Nikon EM. I was hoping to take pictures of vacation spots, family gatherings, maybe school sports, low light sometimes. I was looking to get a kit lens of 18-55mm with the camera. Maybe I would buy a zoom lens in the future. I know that the Nikon D40 needs to have lenses with auto focusing in the lens, if I'm not going to be buying alot of lenses will this be a problem? Which would you buy?
    If you don't plan on getting other lenses, it doesn't really matter as both are fine. Check them out at a store and choose the one you like.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Quote Originally Posted by downtrodden View Post
    Don has a sensible post (yay!)
    That's just my opinion though!
    & so it should be!
    Kev.

D200~
    24-70mm f2.8 , 50mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 VR.more

Quote Originally Posted by Spookonthe8ball View Post
    Emmabelle - You have some great photos from your SX100IS. Can you describe why you want a change to DSLR? It's a fascinating hobby no matter what body you choose. Is it the high iso you are looking for, image quality, selection of lens ect.. Just trying to get more information so others here can help.
    Spook

Well thank you, I appreciate that! I still love my Canon sx100 and still plan to use it. I just found my old film slr camera and I missed it. I've been interested in photography since the early 80's when I used to use my nifty Nikon EM, but with having kids and everything I kind of fell into the point and shoot market. Would I see a big difference in image quality between my sx100 and an entry level D SLR? Maybe with a kit lens I wouldn't see a remarkable difference between my camera and the camera's I mentioned?

I will chime in on that one, being that it recently came up- four people i know have all bought XTi's lately, and they got the lens generally considered to be rubbish- the NON-IS kit lens. They *LOVE* their cameras and the quality images they get with it.. The images they get with that lens we consider crap- are leaps and bounds better than what they've ever gotten with a point and shoot. I've not seen your pictures, so I can't comment on image quality, but i suspect you'll notice a vast difference, especially in low light, indoors, with the lil tykes runnin' around.

I'm going to be crucified on this one- but- Yeah, the pictures from the kit lens are worse than those expesnive lenses, but I doubt you'd be hard pressed to see a difference unless you have a discerning eye. Color representation, contrast and several other selling features of the expensive lenses can be reproduced in photoshop or GIMP- the only thing that really cannot be is sharpness...

But there's a great solution here- the XTi can now have an IS kit lens that's hugely better and sharper than the old kit lens- so sharpness becomes a moot point...

Just some thoughts, take them for what they are worth, but i think you'll be happier with the dSLR, whether Canon, Nikon or even Sony.
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

Quote Originally Posted by emmabelle View Post
    .... I don't have any old lenses except for an old zoom lens from a Nikon EM. ...
    Which zoom lens do you still have? If it's the 75-150, that's a classic! You can use that lens on a D40, but you will have to use it manual mode, it won't meter.
    Digital:
    Canon PowerShot A570 IS

Nikon D5000

Film:
    Fujica ST605n
    Olympus XA

Cameras from my past:
    Fujifilm S6000fd; Canon PowerShot S50; Canon PowerShot A40; Nikon N8008s; Pentax Spotmatic F; Fujica ST605; Canon Canonet GIII QL19

Quote Originally Posted by seo View Post
    Which zoom lens do you still have? If it's the 75-150, that's a classic! You can use that lens on a D40, but you will have to use it manual mode, it won't meter.

I have an 80-205mm. It's basically brand new, I hardly used it. I was wondering if it would be useable on a new Nikon. I knew it would have to be manually focused, but I wasn't sure if it would work.