Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11
    I agree with EJ. I custom WB before every shoot. Once you learn how, it takes 2 seconds and makes everything look great (or at least balanced).

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by techiedude21 View Post
    Actually I do see a problem with having to manually adjust every shot. If you have a decent camera why should that be necessary?
    No you don't have to do it for every shot. Once you set it at the beginning of the shoot you don't have to change it until you change the light source. You can store the custom white balance and refer to it next time you shoot in that room. You may want to refer to your manual, this will help with your confusion
    No worries
    40D 28-135 IS USM, 70-200 f4L IS,, 18-50 f2.8, 430 EX II, Canon S3

    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

    “The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance.”

    Benjamin Franklin

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    36
    hey i think I've got it!!

    talking dog - thanks for your enouraging comments. You helped me to keep the faith.

    here is the story..
    The first shot is the poster board (pretty exciting eh?)
    It was shot at ISO 400 without flash, in my current room.

    Then I applied that that shot in custom white balance, then changed to custom white balance, AND took the 2nd shot.

    WHOOLA!! here it is, straight from the cam!

    *** My only question is can I save more than one of these? from the way it sounded it was like I could have one for every room? ***

    -- wow I feel so much better after figuring this out finally!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    36
    by the way, in regards to some previous comments, I appreciate all the great help from people here..I'm impressed how people in forum are quick to help each other, and how kind they are about doing so... its not something I find in other forums....

    also i realize no cam is perfect, and I will have to do some PP, part of what photography and the art of it is all about... so its all good. The WB thing was just buggin me.

    lastly, I wouldnt flame you mr. cdifoto - with over 5k in posts you have a right to say whatever you want... im a just a newbie looking for some tips and feedback.
    Last edited by techiedude21; 02-26-2008 at 08:01 PM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,163
    My high post count doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.
    Ouch.™

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,129
    Quote Originally Posted by techiedude21 View Post
    *** My only question is can I save more than one of these? from the way it sounded it was like I could have one for every room? ***
    All you would need to do is shoot that poster board (or anything else white) in your different rooms. Memorizing which is which is another issue, but if it's how you'd rather do it, that's up to you. Keep in mind that it doesn't need to be in focus, it just needs to fill the frame. So even if your shutter speed is very slow, it's still not an issue that will affect you setting your white balance.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by griptape View Post
    All you would need to do is shoot that poster board (or anything else white) in your different rooms. Memorizing which is which is another issue, but if it's how you'd rather do it, that's up to you. Keep in mind that it doesn't need to be in focus, it just needs to fill the frame. So even if your shutter speed is very slow, it's still not an issue that will affect you setting your white balance.
    wow fast responses!

    does this mean I will just need to keep several images on a memory card, and simply reapply the one I need for each room???
    Last edited by techiedude21; 02-26-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: content, gotta be clear gotta be clean

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by techiedude21 View Post
    hey i think I've got it!!

    talking dog - thanks for your enouraging comments. You helped me to keep the faith.

    here is the story..
    The first shot is the poster board (pretty exciting eh?)
    It was shot at ISO 400 without flash, in my current room.

    Then I applied that that shot in custom white balance, then changed to custom white balance, AND took the 2nd shot.

    WHOOLA!! here it is, straight from the cam!

    *** My only question is can I save more than one of these? from the way it sounded it was like I could have one for every room? ***

    -- wow I feel so much better after figuring this out finally!
    Glad to here you got it straightened out. White balance is so good it looks like it was photoshopped. There are so many adjustmaents and these dslr's it is hard to remember everything.
    Yes, I believe you can save several and refer back to them. I have a couple saved in my camera for around the house.
    Last edited by talkingdog; 02-27-2008 at 04:31 AM.
    40D 28-135 IS USM, 70-200 f4L IS,, 18-50 f2.8, 430 EX II, Canon S3

    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

    “The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance.”

    Benjamin Franklin

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brookfield, MA
    Posts
    1,140
    You've seen the Expodisc. If you're willing to experiment a little, try cutting out a 2"x2" square from a piece of white diffuser plastic like what's used in a flourescent lighting fixture and holding it up to the front of your lens to do the white balance. Just capture the ambient light in the general direction you're going to shoot in. It's not perfect, but has been pretty close in some of the trial shots I've made.
    The Expodisc supposedly will allow setting of the exposure. The density of the white diffuser plastic wouldn't be "calibrated" to do this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •