Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ejhart View Post
    Whenever I shoot in my living room (which has incandescent and halogen lights) I get pictures with that dreaded yellow tinge when the camera is set to AWB. The way I solved this was to shoot a few pictures as RAW files and open them up in the supplied Canon Digital Photo Professional. I then played with the white balance setting until I achieved the correct white balance for the room/shot. Then just set that in camera when shooting in that room.
    Hi, no problem with the posting, thanks for your contribution to my "charity". :-)

The one part is a tad confusing, you said "then you set that in camera when shooting the room"? does that mean you are able to select a white balance within SOFTWARE and actually save those settings in CAMERA? Can you explain how that is done? I have never shot raw or used the software before, so I might just eb overlooking its capabilities, thanks.

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my post. I just meant once I find which WB setting looks good in Digital Photo Professional, daylight, shade, cloudy, etc. I then set my camera to shoot with that WB setting. For example I said that in my living room with the lights I use for some reason the Daylight setting in Digital Photo Professional gives me the correct white balance (atleast to my eyes). So whenever I shoot in my living room I set the WB setting to daylight in the camera so the pictures out of camera have the correct white balance without having to post process at all. I hope this clarifies things for you. If not let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

Does your xti have a menu function called "WB SHIFT/BKT" (basing this on my 20D)? If it does it should have all 0's (zeros) next to it. If it has anything else besides zeros any WB including AWB may have a tint shift applied to it which simulates using CC filters. This can be cleared with the menu function "Clear Settings" to put everything back to default, which probably wouldn't hurt to try anyways.
    If you don't have the function above try pulling both batteries (main and coin cell) from the camera to see if that may reset the system.

Mark..........

i would say i have not seen a single DSLR that could reproduce WB 100% right, it is always yellowish or orange. you can tweak white balance manually but this is tricky. i also use to correct WB in dim light with PP. i see no problem with yellowish WB as long as you can change it after downloading to PC.

My Xti is always orange-ish in my house. After I got an expodisc it's 1000000% better
    | Canon 7D| Canon 5D|Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS| Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II |
    my photos on flickr

FWIW I did a quick shot with a single 100W tungsten incandescent bulb for a comparison to the shot you posted. Handheld, so bit of blur. Walls are a pearlescent white. 20D was reset to default settings, ISO reset and exposure setting. AWB was used. No post processing on the image.

I have had images with a colorcast like yours if I've shot in a room that had compact flourescents lamps. I wouldn't think halogen bulbs would be too different from a normal tungsten.

ISO 1600 f/5.6@1/60.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark_48; 02-25-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by droopy1592 View Post
    My Xti is always orange-ish in my house. ....
    Ditto. If I shoot in my house in the evening without a flash then I have to use Tungsten WB. However, I usually just shoot in RAW and correct WB in DPP.

I've yet to see a dSLR that gives accurate AWB indoors, especially with incandescent lighting. Its no reason to not like a dSLR, IMO.
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by droopy1592 View Post
    My Xti is always orange-ish in my house. After I got an expodisc it's 1000000% better
    whats an expodisc?

magic cure all?

This is the Ken Rockwell explanation of the Expodisc. It's used for setting white balance manually.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/expodisc.htm

You had stated earlier that you attempted a manual WB. How did you do it and did you still have the same yellow look to the image?
    Last edited by Mark_48; 02-25-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_48 View Post
    This is the Ken Rockwell explanation of the Expodisc. It's used for setting white balance manually.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/expodisc.htm

You had stated earlier that you attempted a manual WB. How did you do it and did you still have the same yellow look to the image?
    yes I "attempted" a manual setting. It was done by first taking a photo of a white poster board (taken with flash on), then going to the menu, custom WB, and selecting that image. Then changing the WB on cam from AWB to "custom".

The effect did not seem to make much difference unfortunately. Not sure if I did it wrong.