Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Canon XTi White Balance is YELLOW!

Hello all,

I come here frustrated, so please bear with me as I spill my guts...

Recently I made a move to sell off my P&S Kodak cams and get a pro DSLR. I ended up with a Canon Rebel XT and then added 2 lenses. 28-135 IS and 70-300 IS USM. Started taking photos and everything was well.

Then recently my gf picked up a Canon SX100 for me to take on a trip to Vegas (the XT was just to bulky for all day travel). I liked it because it has 10x optical and is pocketable. So I went with it.

Before I left I saw a deal on an XTi and purchased it. Then put my XT on ebay.

Got back from the trip with some amazing photos from the SX100. Then shipped out a now sold XT and starting using the XTi thinking all would be fine and dandy...

Then the nightmare began...

I have taken many many indoor shots with the XTi only to find a strong yellow tint to all the photos. Yes I have a halogen light in the room (not flourescent) and there is mild yellow light. I do anticipate some tinting comparable to the room lighting.

So to take it further....tonight I took out the SX100 and snapped a shot on program mode, ISO 800, shutter speed 1/20, f 3.5, no flash. Turned out beautiful!

I did the exact same settings on the XTi and well...crap! A dingy yellow photo that didnt even compare in quality to the sx100 shot. I then tried flourescent mode. Same deal. I have also tried the "custom white balance" on the XTi without any luck. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Well in conclusion (and thanks for staying with me here) I have never, ever had a camera with this type of problem. Some complain of high noise, others soft focus, low saturation, whatever... but its pretty difficult to comprehend how a new Canon XTi can fail dramatically in this area.

Right now I am looking for ideas or solutions. Could there be something wrong with it? Should I go back to an XT? Should I move over to Nikon? What gives?

Tips from any experienced photographers much appreciated.

here are some samples. BOTH photos taken with following settings:

Program mode, shutter 1/13, fstop 6.3, ISO 800, No flash

Lighting is track lighting from above, shooting down to subject, incadescent 40watt.

First photo with SX100
    Second photo with Canon Digital Rebel XTi, w/ Canon 17-55 stock Lens

which shot would you rather have?

-the King lives on :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by techiedude21; 02-21-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: changed content

What is the white balance set to???
    10D, 20D, 30D 1D MKII N
    300mm IS f4, 35-350 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 24-70L, 50mm 1.4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 18-200 OS, Tamron 180 macro, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tokina 50-135 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by sun5150 View Post
    What is the white balance set to???
    AUTO White Balance on both cameras.

here is something interesting.

I loaded the "yellowish" image in ACDSee editor and went to Auto Exposure, which adjusted it. Its not the same as modifying a raw image, but it seemed to correct the color.

I am posting the PP effect result here:

This is the Canon XTi shot, edited w/ ACDSee.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

iso 800 can corrupt your colour reproduction first of all. you also havent posted other samples to see if this is a common characterestic of your camera or if its just the particular scene you are shooting. AWB doesn't work flawlessly for EVERY scene you shoot. sometimes it needs to be tweaked a little.

oh and btw, to answer your question, i'd rather have the second shot.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    I was going to say the same thing. 2nd shot looks much nicer to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    iso 800 can corrupt your colour reproduction first of all. you also havent posted other samples to see if this is a common characterestic of your camera or if its just the particular scene you are shooting. AWB doesn't work flawlessly for EVERY scene you shoot. sometimes it needs to be tweaked a little.

i took several shots around the house (havent posted them) and they all have the "yellowish" tint that is noticeable in the 2nd shot. I can see about adding more samples later.

Why do you favor the 2nd shot? is it because it is more clear?
    Do you see the color balance as out of wack?

well, the first shot just looks horrible in all honesty lol the second is much cleaner. i agree it looks yellowy, but like i said, AWB is not always perfect. especially with dim indoor lighting that is uneven. i think from memory the xti had a weakness with AWB performance in indoor lighting aswell ? cant remember now.

the corrected version looks good.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

First off let me say that I also agree with the consensus that the second picture is MUCH better than the first. Please don't be discouraged by a simple AWB problem in the camera. The XTI is a great little camera and should serve you well in getting the shots you want. I hope you don't mind (and if you do please say so and I will remove the picture immediately) but I went ahead and opened up your picture in Adobe Lightroom and just set the white balance on Auto (took all of 30 seconds). Here is the result.

Auto white balance is one of the easiest things to fix in post processing. With that said if you want to get the white balance right out of camera there is a way to do it. I own a 40D (which I think has the same sensor as the XTI) that has the same problem with indoor lighting. Whenever I shoot in my living room (which has incandescent and halogen lights) I get pictures with that dreaded yellow tinge when the camera is set to AWB. The way I solved this was to shoot a few pictures as RAW files and open them up in the supplied Canon Digital Photo Professional. I then played with the white balance setting until I achieved the correct white balance for the room/shot. Then just set that in camera when shooting in that room. Believe it or not the Daylight setting looks spot on in terms of white balance whenever I shoot in my living room with the incandescent and halogen lights. If this fails your next best bet is to get/purchase the 18% gray card and setup the custom white balance. Hopefully this helps some or maybe even gives you some ideas on how to tackle the problem. Let me know if there is anything I can clarify for you, and have a great time capturing memories with your new XTI.