Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

A little peeved.

So you know that wedding I shot in Dominican for my sister in law. Well there is a little bit of media thing going on right now about it. Apparently Dominican has been a little laid back about processing their wedding paperwork and a few couples have contacted the media stating there is a wedding scam going on etc. so my sister in law contacted the media asking for more details and they decided to feature her story on the local news and also run some stories in the Toronto Star.

Well that is all very nice, but they are freaking using my images on the news with zero compensation! Now honestly I don't care but yesterday was her birth day and my wife and I decided to get a bunch of 4x6 prints from the wedding printed out and put in a wedding album for them because they had not printed any yet. She said thank you and was very appreciative but then she says "I was wondering when you were going to get these printed"........ ummm that bothered me a bit.......... a lot actually........

Maybe I'm just being sensitive and should start charging more to sooth my sensitive nature.

Anyway, I'm not really upset but I thought I would vent a little. Thanks.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Money soothes all ailes

That's how it goes when you work cheap or free. They expect too much.
    Ouch.

Well, I can only assume, because of the relationship you have with the Bride you probably did not have a contract signed with them? That pretty much throws everything out the window. If you did have a contract signed, that states exactly what can and can not be reproduced or used without your consent, then you may have a foot to stand on.

Anyways, be thankful you were not working for this client (See below).

I found this on Nikonians:

This is an email response to a friend of a friend of mine from a potential client. He sent her a quote based on her needs and this was her reply:

Thank you for the email!! I have to admit the prices caught me off guard since I am on such a tight budget. However, I hope we can come up with a package that meets both our needs and our budget so here goes.
    This is what I WANT and what I'm willing to pay for.
    -3 photographers for wedding day
    -Complete photo editing & website viewing of pictures
    -8-12 hours of wedding photography coverage
    -1, 50 page 12x16 album
    -2 Parent 6x8 albums
    -2 Grandparent 6x8 albums
    - Bridal session at location of our choice (1-2 hours) includes 1-16x20,1-11x14, 2-8x10, 3-5x7
    -Engagement session at location of our choice (1-2 hours) includes 1-16x20, 2-11x14, 2-8x10, 3-5x7
    I really don't want to spend no more than 500-600 dollars. I know I might be asking for just a bit much but I know what prints REALLY cost and I know how long it takes to REALLY photoshop images so I know you will give me a fare price.
    Best Wishes,
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor 12-24/4 | Nikkor 50/1.8 | Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VRI | Sigma 18-50/2.8 | SB-800 | SB-80DX (x4) | Radiopopper JrX Studio |

Wow, these stories make me want to only take pictures for myself and certainly not for a bride.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

man i hear ya 100%....everybody wants a deal. it gets frustrating.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by VTEC_EATER View Post
    Well, I can only assume, because of the relationship you have with the Bride you probably did not have a contract signed with them? That pretty much throws everything out the window. If you did have a contract signed, that states exactly what can and can not be reproduced or used without your consent, then you may have a foot to stand on.

This is an email response to a friend of a friend of mine from a potential client. He sent her a quote based on her needs and this was her reply:

Thank you for the email!! I have to admit the prices caught me off guard since I am on such a tight budget. However, I hope we can come up with a package that meets both our needs and our budget so here goes.
    -1, 50 page 12x16 album
    -2 Parent 6x8 albums
    - Bridal session at location of our choice (1-2 hours) includes 1-16x20,1-11x14, 2-8x10, 3-5x7
    -Engagement session at location of our choice (1-2 hours) includes 1-16x20, 2-11x14, 2-8x10, 3-5x7
    I really don't want to spend no more than 500-600 dollars. I know I might be asking for just a bit much but I know what prints REALLY cost and I know how long it takes to REALLY photoshop images so I know you will give me a fare price.
    Best Wishes,
    lol I'd just respond with a simple "Good luck"

I have a cheap package for those on a tight budget but they don't get much product. I tell them straight up they're not getting a lot of stuff but they're getting great images and they can order any additional products later. I also only shoot for 2 hours, but I emphasize that a lot can be done in two hours if they give me time with just them alone so we can create intimate photos. A photo walk, as it were.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 02-20-2008 at 11:50 AM.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by VTEC_EATER View Post

-1, 50 page 12x16 album
    -2 Parent 6x8 albums
    Best Wishes,
    she must be out of her mind.

if i go into my skin smoothing and cloning and stuff like that, i can easily spend an hour on a single picture.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Forget the photoshoping and print costs.... 3 photographers for 8-12 hours of coverage, for 1-2 hours for bridal, and 1-2 hours for engagement, all for $600!

Thats nutty....
    My best pics on Flickr

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/garysimmons
    Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/GarySimmonsPhotography

Gear: Canon 60D, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC II, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC, Sigma 120-400 DG OS. 1 430EX, 1 430EXII, 1 580EXII, ST-E2, Manfrotto 190XPROB (soon to be replaced by the carbon version)
    Plus filters, wireless triggers and other junk...

Some people have difficulty with the concept that photographers are in business to make a profit, not to break even.
    Ouch.