Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Sony repair service

Don,

Do you know who actually performs repair work for Sony for their DSLRs? Both under the original warranty and under their optional extended warranties (if it is a different service)? This is just for future reference, I am not having any problems with the A700 but I have another week to decide upon the extended warranty purchase from Sony. What is your opinion on the extended warranty issue in general?

Thanks,

Mick

I bought the four year warranty ... and as much as I hate to throw away money, I truly hope I will not have to use it. After my run in with trying to get SONY to swap my defective 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM for a new one ... I'm just not in any hurry to go through that again.

It probably isn't ANY different than what you would get from the other major camera manufacturers, but defective is one thing ... broke is another. Same process, different approach.

I would suggest taking the extra coverage ... because you never know, down the road. Things change so fast ... and it takes very little to drop or damage your precious light box. The warranty covers it all. That's cool with me.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

What about the issue of the Sony extended Warranty vs the one Best Buy offers? They are both through third party insurers but what about the service one might expect?

Mick