Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hobsie Guest

Question Increase dpi of my photos

I desperately need to take high res i.e. 300 dpi photos with my Caplio R6 - but can't work out how to do it. Help anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobsie View Post
    I desperately need to take high res i.e. 300 dpi photos with my Caplio R6 - but can't work out how to do it. Help anyone?
    You already are.

The DPI that shows in photoshop means absolutely nothing about the DPI of the final image. All that matters is the size of the image in pixels, and the physical size of the print. Don't worry about what it says in Photoshop.

DPI values are only useful for prints, not for camera's.

First you will need to know how big your prints would be.
    Calculate how many square inches they will be,
    Multiply the number of square inches by 300x300.
    This wil give you the required resolution (mega)pixels for each picture:
    The resolution must be equal or higher than:
    90,000 x (number of inches)/1000,000.

Put the slider, at the top of the camera, to the right (normal record mode).
    Press the Power button, to switch on the camera.

Select the resolution found before (or higher) from the Menu's first option:
    PIC QUALITY/SIZE.
    To get there, just press the MENU button.
    Then one time down.
    Then to the right, where you can select the M(egapixels) you require.

Regards,
    GSM

Selected resolution for pictures is in Megapixels

Accidently replied twice, because of error message at first reply

Regards,
    GSM
    Last edited by gsm; 03-09-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Replied twice because of error message

If you open the image in Photoshop, do the following:

Go to the Image section on the menu bar
    -Drag down until you get to image size
    -When the window pops up you'll see that you're looking at 72dpi
    -There are 3 boxes at the bottom of the window. All three are checked. Uncheck the last one (Resample image)
    -Change the resolution to 300 from 72. You'll notice that the height and width in that window to their new size. As it now stands you haven't made any real changes to your image that will cause it to look pixelated or "noisy".
    -Now recheck the Resample Image box and save. It will never again come up as a 72dpi image...unless you change it, that is.

All the images (regardless of camera setting on resolution) I take with my gr-d are recorded at 72dpi. Set the camera for the highest resolution and when you open it in photoshop convert it the way I described above. I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me if your camera shot 72dpi, most all point and shoot cameras and some dslr's shoot in that fashion and it's no big deal to convert it.
    BTW, take notice of what the 300dpi height and width are. If you start making the image larger without decreasing the dpi you'll be interpolating try not to increase the size dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
    All the images (regardless of camera setting on resolution) I take with my gr-d are recorded at 72dpi.
    No, they aren't. Images don't have a dpi, they are just pixels. PhotoShop chooses 72 dpi as a default representation but that means nothing until you choose to print. Then you can choose whatever size image you'd like to print.

DPI simply represents the ration between pixels and printed image size. Until you choose a print size you can't really have a DPI.