Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

R8 review and TZ cameras

It was good to see the Ricoh R8 review. I was surprised, though, that no mention was made of the Panasonic TZ3 or TZ5. These cameras seem like the closest competitor to the R8. Size is similar, as is zoom range. In fact your sentence at the bottom of the review should perhaps be modified: "While no camera matches the R8's zoom range.." The TZ3 and 5 match the range at the low end and exceed it at the high end.

R8... the couldabeen?

The Panasonic TZ5 was mentioned several times you may have missed the references?

I was surprised that the R8 produced such relatively poor images for a camera that has so much potential. The strange vertical banding at ISO 800 is particularly weird, (I'm wondering if Jeff's test cam was faulty?) as are the over-processing artefacts also.

So... great lens (on paper at least), fabulous LCD, cool looks etc but... lousy image quality. Oh dear, Ricoh: what're we gonna do?

Maybe a firmware upgrade is in order... post haste!

Cheers

Looks like the R8 review was updated after I first read it. I'm glad to see that.

As far as image quality goes, some people are reporting that turning the sharpness down a notch or two on the R8 is a big help.