Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Getting new eos 40d which lens should i get?

I am looking to get a new 40d camera. This will be my first SLR so I am new to all this. I was wondering if i should get the one with the lens kit EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM or should I get the one with a EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM? I am leaning toward getting the 17-85mm from reading about it, it seems like the same lens a little better and smaller.

I will be using the camera for normal family pics, mostly my kids and when they play sports. I need a lens that will do a little of everything. I cant afford to spend hundreds extra on lenses.

Can anyone recommend a good place to look online to buy cameras? I have found different sites but then I read reviews about them and it scares me away. Any info on all this would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by scano13 View Post
    I cant afford to spend hundreds extra on lenses.
    Then buy a cheaper camera body. How much are you looking to spend total?

B&H Photo and BuyDig are good.
    Last edited by TheWengler; 02-12-2008 at 08:47 PM.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I am pretty set on get this camera body. I think I dont want to spend more than $1500 for now. I think in the future I am willing to try new lenses once I am more familiar with the camera.

Well that leaves the 17-85 out then

I am pretty set on get this camera body. I think I dont want to spend more than $1500 for now. I think in the future I am willing to try new lenses once I am more familiar with the camera.
    The 40D 17-85 kit is $1699 at B&H right now, Buydig doesn't carry that kit. The 40D 28-135 kit leaves you $150 for a CF card and a bag to protect your investment.

You might be able to find a bit of a better price at a reputable seller, but not much. You'll probably find a lot better price than that other places, but I wouldn't buy from most if you paid me to. If you find price you like always check the store at resellerratings.com and read about buyers experiences there.

I agree with Wengler, look at a lesser body, maybe a refurbished body, or a used body. The body is less important in the equation than the lens. A great lens on an older body will produce a better image than a lesser lens on a new body.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Are these indoor or outdoor sports? The lens you choose will be more important than the camera body.
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

The body can only see the glass that's in front of it. A sensor only captures what the lens takes in. If you're not willing to spend money on that, it doesn't really matter a whole lot what you get.

It will be used mostly for outdoor sports. which one of the two you would you recomend? If I decide to make the investment and not worry to much about the price. Is the 17-85 a more of a wide angle lens? I know a lot of questions. Thanks for the help

It will be used mostly for outdoor sports. which one of the two you would you recomend? If I decide to make the investment and not worry to much about the price. Is the 17-85 a more of a wide angle lens? I know a lot of questions. Thanks for the help
    If I HAD to choose one of these I would take the 17-85. The lens does have wide covered while the other lens has more reach but no wide angle. However, I don't think you should get this set up. What's your reasoning for getting the 40D? With $1500 here's what I think you should get...The Canon XTi, Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 and Canon 70-200mm f/4 L. You could add a flash and a 1.4x teleconverter when you have more funds.
    Lukas

Flickr

I like the over all feel of the 40d better than the xti. The xti feels small and plasticy. I figure if I am going to invest in a camera spend extra and get the better over all camera. I have always wanted to take up photography as a hobby and I think this is a good start.

I like the over all feel of the 40d better than the xti. The xti feels small and plasticy. I figure if I am going to invest in a camera spend extra and get the better over all camera. I have always wanted to take up photography as a hobby and I think this is a good start.
    Take a look at the 20D (used) and 30D then. You'll get a similar build and you'll have more money for lenses. The 40D is a great start but the lenses you buy will stay with you while the cameras will probably change.
    Lukas

Flickr