Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Don question about Teleconverters

Don
    Would I be wasting my money on a Teleconverters for my 70-300 Quantary lens?
    I was going to buy a 1.4x. So I would only ( and I use the word only loosely ) loose one f-stop. I would use it outside 99 percent of the time where the loss of the f-stop won't hurt me as much. Or does it affect your pictures in other ways.

Thanks
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

First ... a T/C can reduce your image quality (IQ)
    Second ... your autofocus at 180mm-300mm will begin erratic response, because you have now changed the base aperture from f/5.6 to f/8 ... which it the failure point for AF. What this means is that when you go to get that long focal length shot (300mm x 1.4x = 520mm) ... you will have to manually focus to get it.

... and I can understand your wanting to increase your reach, but the best way is to purchase a lens designed to do just that ... unless you are just playing. The small amount of additional telephoto and loss of light is rather significant and does change the way you will shoot.

I have mounted this combination (300mm x 1.4x T/C) on my A700 ... and at 180mm ... autofocus just drifts back and forth past the proper focal point. That can really tick you off when you trying to quickly snap a distant nature shot.

Experience has shown me that you will be a lot happier with a naturally longer lens, such as the TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD ... and you should not use this lens with a T/C either ... as it screws up the "infinity" focus and that defeats the whole purpose of having a long lens. It does not work like a telescope. These lenses are designed to work on their own ... based on distance to the sensor ... and you cannot interfere with that, as you corrupt the optical dynamics involved. The result, inaccurate focus.

So ... you can usually get away with a T/C on some lenses ... but not the 70-300 f/4-5.6 or the 200-500mm f/5-6.3 (just to name a couple). Don't even think about using one on an 18-200 or 18-250 f/3.5-6.3. You'll be manually focusing for nearly 70% of time.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-10-2008 at 08:52 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi